BURNLEY ended their long wait for a win with a comeback success over Everton at Turf Moor.

The victory was the Clarets first win in a dozen games since their 1-0 success over Stoke City on December 12 and it got their Europa League hopes back on track, moving six points clear of the Toffees.

It was a momentous day all round for Burnley, with second half goals from Ashley Barnes and Chris Wood landing the Clarets a first comeback win in the Premier League under Sean Dyche at the 54th time of asking.

They had gone behind to a Cenk Tosun header in the first half but the win was deserved for Dyche’s side, who had been the better side throughout.

Burnley started brightly, with Johann Berg Gudmundsson on the left and Aaron Lennon on the right getting some joy out wide.

The early chances were failing to the Icelander, the one man likely to feel at home in the freezing conditions, and he had an early shot half-blocked by Cuco Martina, with Jordan Pickford doing the rest, before Gudmundsson sliced a shot wide from 20 yards after Lennon’s cross had been teed up to him by Barnes.

At the other it was Gudmunmdsson’s international teammate who set up a glorious chance for Everton after 15 minutes. Gylfi Sigurdsson showed quick feet to get to the byline and pull a low cross back for Theo Walcott, but he skied a left-footed effort from 10 yards.

It was all action early on and Lennon showed a turn of pace to dart past Martina and fiz a ball in that Walcott could only clear to Jack Cork, but he slashed a half-volley over on his left foot from inside the box.

Burnley found joy down the left next, with Stephen Ward slipping a pass inside to Gudmundsson and he rifled a low ball across the six-yard box that Ashley Barnes was inching away from converting.

It had been all Burnley in the opening stages so it was against the run of play that they fell behind inside the opening quarter. Walcott’s right-wing cross was flicked on by Seamus Coleman for Tosun to head home from eight yards for his first Toffees goal.

It was the wide men continuing to threaten for Burnley, with Gudmundsson seeing a shot blocked by Michael Keane after Jeff Hendrick had laid a Lennon cross off to him, before Pickford brilliantly clawed away a Barnes header as he glanced Matt Lowton’s cross goalwards.

Everton’s threat was now on the counter but they looked dangerous when given the opportunity to do so, with Tosun breaking down the left and sending a cross-field ball to Walcott, who cut inside Stephen Ward but could only shoot tamely at Nick Pope.

Burnley had looked lively but Sean Dyche sought to increase the goal threat by bringing Wood on for the lacklustre Hendrick at the break.

Just like the first half it was the hosts who came out of the blocks quickly, but again they found Pickford in fine form.

He dived to his left to tip a Lennon half-volley wide and then from the resulting corner pushed a Ben Mee header away, with Wood heading the rebound over.

The goal had been coming and it arrived 10 minutes into the second half thanks to a wonderful Lowton through ball, finding Barnes getting in behind Keane and the striker buried his finish past Pickford from close range.

It was almost a carbon copy for the Clarets just after the hour mark. This time Lowton advanced further into the Toffees half before again finding Barnes’ running in behind Keane, but this time Pickford made himself big and made the save.

Burnley hadn’t been under much pressure at the other end but Everton twice came close with 15 minutes to go, with Oumar Niasse hooking a volley over from 12 yards before Sigurdsson sent a shot wide from even closer in.

The Clarets had the lead their play had deserved with just over 10 minutes to go, scoring from a corner for the first time this season. Gudmundsson’s delivery floated over Pickford, with the goalkeeper appealing for a foul by Stephen Ward, and was headed home at the back post by half-time substitute Wood to complete the comeback.