BURNLEY’S winless run extended to 12 games after they were denied victory over Southampton in extraordinary circumstances.

The Clarets looked set to land a first win since December 12 when Ashley Barnes put them ahead in the second half.

But referee Bobby Madley can claim an assist in the late equaliser, getting in the way of Ashley Westwood and allowing possession to turn over, with the Saints levelling just seconds later.

Chances were few and far between in the first half. Johann Berg Gudmundsson headed well wide from eight yards from Stephen Ward’s cross in the early stages, before Aaron Lennon volleyed straight at Alex McCarthy from the edge of the area after Matt Lowton’s free-kick from deep was only half cleared.

At the other end Nick Pope made amends for a poor kick, combining with a backtracking Ben Mee to keep Dusan Tadic’s effort out.

Lennon, operating on the left in the first half, was having Burnley’s best chances. When Matt Lowton did well to keep the ball in on the right  and steer a low cross in Ashley Barnes laid it off to the former England winger, but his shot from 15 yards was blocked by Oriol Romeu.

Jeff Hendrick was back in his role as number 10 following Sean Dyche’s decision to go back to 4-4-1-1 and he almost latched on to a lovely through ball from Gudmundsson early in the second half, only for McCarthy to just reach the ball first.

That led to a brief spell of Clarets pressure that brought the Turf Moor crowd back into the game and from a Westwood cross Barnes headed wide.

The reward for that increased pressure was the lead midway through the half. From Lennon’s deep cross Gudmundsson volleyed back across goal with McCarthy pushing the ball out, but as Hendrick headed it back towards goal this time McCarthy could only push it against Barnes and the ricochet took it over the line.

The lead then remained intact thanks to a brilliant save from Pope, who had been a spectator for most of the second half. Substitute Josh Sims cut inside and let fly from 20 yards, but Pope managed to touch it onto the post.

But Pope’s save wouldn’t be enough to earn the Clarets the three points, with Southampton equalising in the last minute in extraordinary circumstances.

The Clarets were in possession in the centre circle when Madley got in the way of Westwood, leaving Southampton to counter and Sims’ deep cross was headed back across goal by Guido Carrillo and fired home on the turn by Manolo Gabbiadini.