THE last time Burnley visited there parts it was an afternoon of high drama as they edged their way closer to Championship glory with a dramatic late equaliser.

The outcome in the Premier League, now Brighton have joined the Clarets in the top flight, was the same on Saturday, but it was an occasion lacking the level of excitement that pervaded the air in April 2016.

That 2-2 draw, sealed despite the officials failing to spot Michael Keane’s header had crossed the line, would turn out to be crucial in firing Burnley back to the Premier League and ultimately laying the foundations for the success they are revelling in this season.

Burnley have come a long way in the 20 months since and you needed to remind yourself on Saturday that a point from the AMEX Stadium wasn’t a bad result. After six wins in eight Premier League games expectations are rising around the Clarets.

This was the type of game they would probably have lost last season. Instead they showed the lessons they had learned from that campaign, slowing the game down in the first half as they threatened to be overwhelmed, stifling Albion’s momentum and gradually taking a greater foot hold in proceedings in the second half.

Yet another win alluded Sean Dyche’s side, but they’ve now been beaten just four times in 18 league outings this season.

The platform for that success has undoubtedly been laid at the back. Those 18 games have yielded just 16 goals for Burnley, bringing them a remarkable two points for every goal scored.

But they’ve conceded just 12, keeping nine clean sheets and this shutout on the south coast was a third in a row.

The Clarets definitely wobbled in the first half, but on the road they’ve rediscovered the strong jaw that was such a feature of their success in the Championship, and they never allowed themselves to hit the canvas.

Burnley had started reasonably well, with Johann Berg Gudmundsson testing Mat Ryan with a shot on the turn from 16 yards.

They were soon under pressure though. From Pascal Gross’ low cross Anthony Knoackaert hit the post, before Phil Bardsley headed off the line from Lewis Dunk’s deflected effort.

Glenn Murray had ruffled James Tarkowski in the first half and he’d tested Nick Pope with a well-struck half-volley before winning a controversial penalty.

Murray was going away from goal when his legs tangled with Tarkowski. Was it clumsy from the centre back? Perhaps. But there was certainly an element of bad luck as well. Once the striker hit the deck Martin Atkinson had no hesitation in pointing to the spot.

Justice was done here in April 2016 when Keane made sure of a point and Burnley will argue it was served again, with Murray sending his spot-kick well over the bar.

Early in the second half Murray was inches away from sliding home Knockaert’s shot across goal, but by the hour mark the Clarets were steadying the ship.

Gudmundsson led a break from his own half, driving Bruno back and winning a corner with a deflected shot. From that set-piece Tarkowski forced the ball goalwards and Dale Stephens hacked clear on the line.

Ashley Barnes had been introduced on his return to his former club and he almost provided the winner, timing his pass perfectly to send Chris Wood in but his attempted chip over the advancing Ryan lacked the requisite loft, and the Clarets had to settle for a point.