BURNLEY Under-23s were held to a 1-1 draw at the City Ground as Nahki Wells and Dean Marney made their return from injury, writes Joshua Bunting.

It was the Clarets who started the game on top and they took the lead following a corner as Dwight McNeil flicked the ball onto the head of Freddy Ulvestad before he dispatched the chance beyond the reach of Forest 'keeper Stephen Henderson.

The home side should have equalised on 34 minutes as they cut through the Clarets defence and the ball fell kindly to the feet of Aaron Smith, but he but he lashed his effort over the crossbar.

Adam Legzdins was then called into action three minutes later as the former Birmingham City stopper tipped a Matty Cash effort over the bar as he was picked out at the back post by a David Vaughan cross.

Burnley were playing some nice football and they could have doubled their lead on the stroke of the break as Ali Koiki fizzed in a low cross for Tinashe Chakwana, but he was denied by good goalkeeping by Henderson as he got down low to grab the ball at his feet.

Nottingham Forest came out of the blocks quicker in the second half and levelled when a quick break from Lewis Walters saw him beat the Clarets defence before he squared the ball to Cash and he stayed composed to fire the ball into the net and out of the reach of Legzdins.

Forest then created another good opening on 54 minutes as Vaughan's corner was met by Ethan Stewart but his header was well dealt with by Legzdins as he punched the ball away from the danger zone.

In an end to end game Burnley were inches away from regaining their lead as Wells linked up with McNeil before his low cross searching for Chakwana was well dealt with by Anel Ahmedhodzic as he flicked the ball away from the onrushing striker’s feet.

Henderson then came to Forest's rescue three minutes later as Tunde Bayode let fly at goal only to see his rasping effort well kept out by the superb reactions of the experienced keeper.

Forest should have gone ahead on 67 minutes as Cash played in Virgil Gomis, but his powerful effort was well saved by Legzdins as he raced of his line.

Henderson then made yet another fine save on 75 minutes as Ulvestad was denied his second as he hit a low effort from inside the area following Bayode's corner from the right.

Cash was impressing for the Reds and he had the next chance for the home side on 79 minutes as he fired a low freekick from 25 yards out just wide of the target, before the same man danced his way around the visitor’s defence, only for his weak effort to be saved by Legzdins.

It was the Clarets who could have stolen the victory at the death as Oliver Younger saw his low shot from range well dealt with by Henderson.