THE English Football League has confirmed the penalty shoot-out in Leeds' Carabao Cup win at Burnley was taken in front of home supporters in the interests of crowd safety.

Championship side Leeds secured a place in the last-16 following a dramatic 5-3 win on spot-kicks.

The match had ended 2-2 following a frantic end to normal time, when a free-kick from Burnley midfielder Robbie Brady cancelled out what had appeared to be a decisive penalty from Pablo Hernandez some four minutes into time added on.

The teams could not be separated after an additional half an hour, meaning the tie was decided on a shoot-out.

Broadcast footage showed referee Darren Bond and his assistants having discussions with a police officer, before Burnley manager Sean Dyche and Leeds boss Thomas Christiansen also became involved.

It was decided to take the penalties in front of Burnley supporters, rather than the end holding a large travelling contingent of Leeds fans, who had barracked former players Charlie Taylor and Chris Wood.

An EFL spokesman said: "As a result of police advice, in conjunction with the club's safety officer, it was agreed at the conclusion of extra-time that the penalty kicks would be taken at the home end of the stadium due to general safety concerns."

Leeds' victory was sealed when Clarets defender James Tarkowski saw his effort saved by goalkeeper Andy Lonergan.

Lancashire Police confirmed advice had been offered to the officials over the location of the penalty shoot-out.

"The match was a Category B fixture which resulted in significant police resources being deployed to the event," a spokesperson for Lancashire Police said.

"There were a variety of testing moments including incidents along the segregation line between rival supporters and as a result, when the match proceeded to a penalty shoot-out, police offered advice to the match referee on which end the penalty shoot-out should be held.

"This advice was based on the safety of all of those attending the match, but the decision was ultimately one taken by the match referee."