BURNLEY were knocked out of the Carabao Cup at the third round stage after a dramatic night at Turf Moor.

A low-key game burst into life late in normal time as the sides shared four goals in the final 10 minutes, with the Clarets twice cancelling out Leeds’ advantage.

But the visitors made sure of progression at the third time of asking as they won a penalty shootout 5-3, with James Tarkowski the only man to miss as his spot kick was saved by Andy Lonergan.

Chris Wood, Ashley Barnes and Robbie Brady had buried their penalties in the new ABBA format, before Stuart Dallas won it for the Whites.

The fact that the battle to stay in, or get into the Premier League, takes precedent for these two sides was clear to see in the team selections.

Despite Burnley’s soaring start to the new campaign manager Sean Dyche shuffled his deck with seven changes, with Nick Pope, Tarkowski, Johann Berg Gudmundsson and Scott Arfield the only survivors from the draw at Anfield, while Championship leaders Leeds made nine alterations from their weekend team.

In the end Dyche was indebted to his bench, with Wood and Brady coming on together with 20 minutes remaining and scoring the goals that twice brought the Clarets back from the dead late on.

The last time the two sides met here Arfield broke the deadlock inside 60 seconds and he was the first to go close again, driving in a low 25-yard shot from Sam Vokes’ knockdown which Lonergan palmed away. Within 60 seconds Leeds had gone close as Jay-Ray Grot cut inside captain for the night James Tarkowski but his shot was tame and easy for Pope.

It was Burnley who began to take control of the game after that bright beginning and they should have led by the break.

Charlie Taylor was getting plenty of stick from the visiting fans every time he attacked down the left towards the away following, but his crosses and forays forward were proving to be an attacking outlet and from one wicked delivery Barnes headed wide.

Vokes and Arfield linked up again to create another chance, with an exchange of passes ending with the latter stabbing a shot inches wide from Vokes’ drilled cross, while just before the break Barnes glanced a header from Phil Bardsley’s cross wide.

Gudmundsson was excelling for Burnley and he curled an effort just wide early in the second half before the Iceland winger nearly turned provider when Barnes headed over from his cross.

Bardsley had tried his luck from distance on three occasions in the first half without much luck, but he came very close 20 minutes from time, latching on to Gudmundsson’s ball inside and drilling a shot from an angle across goal and inches wide.

With 10 minutes to go Ashley Westwood tested Lonergan from the edge of the area, with the former Preston man beating the effort away, and within 60 seconds the visitors had found the back of the net.

Pablo Hernandez had only been on the pitch for a couple of minutes when he turned in the centre and fed fellow sub Hadi Sacko who had found space behind Taylor and as he bore down on goal he fired through Pope’s legs and into the net.

The Clarets responded though. Gudmundsson forced a corner when he was denied by Lonergan and when Kevin Long was hauled down by Gaetano Berardi, referee Darren Bond pointed to the spot - and Wood made no mistake in silencing his boo boys in the away end.

Six minutes were added on and there was still time for plenty more drama, as Tarkowski was penalised for a pull on Kemar Roofe in the box and Hernandez scored from the spot.

Just as Leeds looked to be heading through Brady sent the game into extra-time when he curled a wonderful 22-yard free-kick from a central position beyond Lonergan and in.

After the frenetic finale to normal time the game was back to a more sedate pace in extra time, with Pierre-Michel Lasogga firing a free-kick over for Leeds and Jack Cork sending a volley from 20 yards straight at Lonergan as both sides failed to find a winner before the drama of penalties.