THERE was a time not so long ago when away days with the Clarets brought a sense of trepidation. They were afternoons that would produce the odd highlight, a moment to be enjoyed, but they almost all ended the same way, with that familiar sinking feeling.

It took this team 18 attempts to win a Premier League game away from home last season. Given what has happened since that seems more incredulous by the week.

The start on the road handed to Burnley this season looked a daunting one given what happened last season, but now the Clarets can add a point at Liverpool to the one they garnered at Wembley against Tottenham and the three they ransacked from Chelsea on the opening day.

Five points from games that produced none last season, and you wouldn’t have found many people outside of Burnley predicting a bigger return than zero this term.

But that resilience and dogged determination that we have become accustomed to at Turf Moor is now a regular feature on the Clarets’ travels, and it was on full display at Anfield.

To look at the raw statistics of this game you would think Liverpool had dominated, and to a large extent they did, but plenty of their 35 shots were speculative efforts from distance, and while Nick Pope was a busy man in the Burnley goal, he made saves he would expect to make if he’s to succeed at this level.

Burnley had soaked up the pressure for the first 27 minutes, and when they got the chance to finally enjoy a spell of possession they made it count.

Chris Wood had been thwarted a minute earlier by a block from close range, but the Clarets kept hold of the ball. James Tarkowski’s crossfield pass was headed up in the air by Robbie Brady, Wood managed to feather it on to Scott Arfield and he showed a cool head to finish from 12 yards.

The one disappointment for Sean Dyche post game was how the equaliser came, and how quickly it came. The lead was enjoyed for just three minutes. Emre Can clipped a pass straight down the middle to Mohamed Salah, who controlled on his thigh and fired past Pope.

The half ended with Liverpool on top, but Pope comfortably held two Salah shots from the right edge of the area and when Daniel Sturridge did make the net ripple it was via the side netting.

The frustration felt by the hosts was probably best summed up early in the second half. Philippe Coutinho fired over from outside the area with right and the left foot, Can’s skimmer from distance was shovelled away by Pope and Sturridge’s drive from the edge of the area was beaten away by the goalkeeper, who was relishing annoying Anfield on his first Premier League start, and was booked for time wasting as early as the 55th minute. They were all long range efforts. Finding a way to create clear chances was proving difficult.

Liverpool’s vulnerability from set-pieces was almost exploited as the match entered the final 10 minutes. First Brady’s in-swinging corner was met by Ben Mee and headed over the line and over the bar by Joel Matip. The resulting corner was almost an action replay, but this time Simon Mignolet denied Mee.

Pope’s best work of the afternoon came late on. Trent Alexander-Arnold’s volley from 12 yards, which initially caught the stopper unsighted, was well saved on the line, before a combination of crossbar and then Pope denied Dominic Solanke as he looked to finish from inside the six-yard box.

The four added minutes brought more pressure, and another fingertip stop by Pope to deny Can, but the final whistle was greeted with a roar from the corner of the Anfield Road End. This away day lark isn’t so tough after all.