BURNLEY produced a defensive display full of determination and desire to land a first home win of the campaign.

Turf Moor was a fortress for the Clarets for most of last season, but having seen West Brom take all three points here already this term Burnley were in no mood to see the walls penetrated again.

They struck early on, capitalising on a Palace mistake, and then held firm as the pressure increased, with James Tarkowski and Ben Mee outstanding in the centre of defence, and Jack Cork making lift of Burnley’s numerical disadvantage in the centre of the pitch.

The win put the icing on the cake of the Clarets bright start to the season, taking them to seven points from their first four games.

After his Wembley heroics off the bench Chris Wood was handed a first start by Sean Dyche, and his first at this level.

It didn’t take him long to make his mark again. Wood had followed up his equaliser against Tottenham with a stylish hat-trick for New Zealand and he looked a striker full of confidence when he latched on to Lee Chung-Yong’s terrible backpass from the halfway line, saw the advancing Wayne Hennessey and clipped a first-time finish past him from 25 yards.

It was the worst possible start for the visitors given their early season struggles but they responded well. Scott Dann controlled Jason Puncheon’s corner on his chest and fired a half-volley goalwards which Matt Lowton cleared off the line, before Christian Benteke sent a header from an Andros Townsend cross just wide.

Wood and Sam Vokes were looking a threat together though and still inside the first 10 minutes the latter glanced Stephen Ward’s cross just wide.

The game began to settle into a rhythm as the half progressed, with the Clarets defending a string of Palace corners well, while James McArthur headed one a couple of yards wide of the far post.

But with 10 minutes of the half remaining Dyche was forced into a change he didn’t want to make, as Heaton fell awkwardly after claiming a high cross, injuring his left shoulder. That meant a Premier League debut for Nick Pope and he made a confidence boosting save just before half-time, holding on to Townsend’s deflected effort.

Palace were back on the front foot early in the second half, but they were struggling to break down a resolute defensive display from the Clarets.

Burnley’s attacking threat was becoming increasingly diminished, but they were defending well as Palace looked to load the box with crosses, looking for the aerial threat of Benteke.

Ashley Barnes’ introduction just after the hour mark briefly brought the Clarets back to life and he won a flick-on from a long Pope free-kick but Wood couldn’t connect with the volley as the ball looped over his shoulder.

Palace had made a change of their own and substitute Levi Lumeka headed Townsend’s cross over under pressure from Lowton, before Jeffrey Schlupp slashed a good chance over from 15 yards.

Barnes had been a catalyst for improvement from Burnley and he tested Hennessey shortly after, cutting inside and seeing a left-footed curler from the edge of the area pushed away by the Palace ‘keeper.

That was to be the Clarets last sight of goal though and the visitors turned the pressure up late on.

Pope was called into action to make a fine save with 10 minutes to go. Some neat Palace passing on the edge of the area resulted in Benteke wriggling into a one-on-one situation, but Pope stood tall to deny the Belgian.

Moments later a Palace corner found Dann but for the second time in the game he was denied on the line, with Tarkowski the man to make the clearance this time.

Dann should have levelled matters with five minutes to go but he somehow headed Yohan Cabaye’s cross wide from inside the six-yard box, and the Clarets held on to land all three points.