Club secretary Ian Silvester has left Blackburn Rovers following an internal investigation after the failed registration of Duncan McGuire.

For the second January transfer window in a row, Rovers failed to submit documents to the English Football League before the 11pm deadline.

The club formally announced the signing of McGuire at 11pm, though the paperwork was thought to be wrapped up around an hour beforehand. 

However, it later emerged that documents had been uploaded to the EFL portal but not sent through. Therefore, by the time the human error was realised, they had missed the deadline.

READ MORE: Rovers set to learn new opponents as L1 play-off final confirmed

Speaking in March, Director of Football Gregg Broughton confirmed that there was an internal investigation ongoing. However, he could not provide any more information at that time.

"What you can't account for is a human error which was the situation that caused Duncan's transfer to fall through. That's not making an excuse, it is inexcusable," he told The Lancashire Telegraph.

"That is the genuine reason. The trouble with life right now is that there is a vacuum of information, conspiracies then bubbles. There have been more sinister accusations as to why it didn't go through.

"We have to take responsibility for that vacuum of information. Most supporters will accept, they won't like it or agree with it, but they will accept it if you come out and put your hands up and say we got it wrong.

"There is an enquiry going on which is being led by the administrative side of the club. I am not at liberty to go into that because there is confidentiality around that in terms of the results.

"Some things have to be confidential and this is one of those. I am not trying to avoid any questions, I am here fronting up today."

Records from Companies House have confirmed that Silvester left the club last month. He was club secretary for 12 years, starting work at Ewood Park in 2012.

Broughton also confirmed Rovers couldn't commit to a new deal for McGuire until they knew what division they'd be in and had held recruitment meetings with John Eustace.