Blackburn Rovers missed the opportunity to secure their safety after drawing 0-0 against ten-man Coventry City.

Liam Kitching's red card gave Rovers a man advantage for half an hour but they couldn't find the breakthrough despite significant pressure.

With results elsewhere going in their favour, a win would have been enough to ensure Rovers remain in the Championship. As it finished, the fight for survival will go to the final day.

Sam Szmodics missed an uncharacteristic chance in the first half as he fired over the bar from the rebound of a Tyrhys Dolan shot. That was the best they mustered with all the real action coming in the second half.

Coventry captain Liam Kelly struck the inside of the post for Coventry with the game sparking into life after a red card for Rovers head coach John Eustace.

The boss was involved in a small scuffle on the touchline with Kasey Palmer but was sent to the stands. Palmer meanwhile, was booked despite being the antagonist.

Coventry were then reduced to ten on the pitch as Kitching brought down Sam Gallagher as last man. An onslaught ensured but Rovers couldn't find a breakthrough.

Dolan hit the inside of the post whilst substitute Yasin Ayari went close twice with efforts narrowly wide. In the end, it proved a game of frustration.

Results elsewhere mean Rovers have a three-point gap on the bottom three but the same goal difference as Birmingham. Plymouth Argyle (48) and Sheffield Wednesday (50) also remain between them and the bottom three.

After Scott Wharton was ruled out with a serious knee injury this week, Kyle McFadzean was restored to the starting line-up against his former side. 

Coventry started the better of the two teams and bossed possession in the first 10 minutes but without causing many problems. Josh Eccles' shot from range was their only sighter.

It was actually Rovers who then mustered the game's best chance and it fell to the perfect man. By Szmodics' high standards, it was a bad miss, firing over from a slight angle after Tyrhys Dolan's shot was saved by Brad Collins.

Coventry were playing like a side with an end-of-season feel. They continued to look dangerous in attack but a little loose at the back.

Rovers were let off by Hadji Wright, who was put through after a clever dummy by Kasey Palmer but took the shot too early and didn't catch it cleanly. The in-form forward perhaps didn't realise how much time he had with a clear sight on goal.

Szmodics continued to carry Rovers' greatest threat and tested the reflexes of Collins again as he worked space in the penalty area. His left-footed shot was saved at the near post to keep the scores level at the break.

Whatever Eustace said at half-time, it stoked fire in the Rovers' bellies. They came out with far more intensity and an urgency to win the match.

Sam Gallagher was inches away from heading in after meeting Harry Pickering's inch-perfect cross. A foot or so outside the post.

Eustace was then sent off from the touchline after a minor scuffle with Palmer. The Coventry man refused to return the ball for a throw-in, leading to the pair fighting for the ball.

It was nothing more than 'handbags' and yet the Rovers head coach was sent off. Palmer, by contrast, only got a booking.

The visitors almost opened the scoring shortly after with the ball falling to captain Kelly inside the box but his shot hit the inside of the post and luckily, flew to safety.

Rovers were then given a golden opportunity to end any doubt over their Championship status. Kitching was sent off for bringing down Gallagher, with referee Anthony Backhouse given little option.

That gave the hosts 30 minutes with a man advantage, with Huddersfield and Birmingham drawing, meaning a winner would secure safety.

The on-slaught began. Szmodics curled a shot just wide before Dolan's shot from outside the box came off the inside of the post and out. So close.

Substitute Yasin Ayari was next to try his luck. A lovely dummy from Szmodics made the space but he curled his shot just wide. The midfielder then went close again with a shot from the edge of the box, this time wide of the opposite post.

That proved to be the final action of the match. Undoubtedly, a missed opportunity for Rovers but their efforts in the second half can't be ignored. They did everything but score.

It will go down the final day at Leicester. If Rovers match the result of Birmingham, Plymouth or Sheffield Wednesday, they are safe. They will be hoping for some title celebrations at Deepdale on Monday night.