Burnley came from behind twice to draw 2-2 at Chelsea despite playing the second half with 10 men.

Dara O'Shea headed home nine minutes from time to rescue what could prove to be a vital point on the road. Josh Cullen had earlier beaten Djordje Petrovic with an instinctive volley from 25 yards after combining with Josh Brownhill.

Cole Palmer got both goals for the hosts, the first a penalty after Lorenz Assignon was judged to have fouled Mykhailo Mudryk in the box and shown a controversial second yellow card, then making it 2-1 after being set up by a delightful flick from Raheem Sterling.

The first opportunity had been Burnley’s. A long ball up from halfway drifted over the head of Benoit Badiashile and was lashed across goal and wide by Jacob Bruun Larsen.

Next to go close was Enzo Fernandez. His shot from the edge of the box took a wicked deflection towards the top corner, before being brilliantly turned onto the crossbar and behind by Arijanet Muric.

Wilson Odobert drew a fine, flying save from goalkeeper Djordje Petrovic, finding space to fire from range after stepping inside Malo Gusto. Nicolas Jackson too might have done better when he raced on to Palmer’s incisive through-ball, danced round two defenders and aimed for the corner, again though Muric saved.

Axel Disasi thought he had given Chelsea the lead midway through the first half, turning the ball in at the far post from Mudryk’s cross, only for VAR to rule it had gone in off the defender’s arm.

Mudryk fired straight at Muric after being teed up by Jackson jinking in off the right, as Chelsea’s shot count rose to 12 inside the opening 35 minutes.

The Clarets would have been pleased with their first-half display but their task was made significantly harder just before the break. Assignon was judged to have fouled Mudryk despite minimal contact.

In the chaos that followed, the defender was shown a second yellow card, the fulminating Vincent Kompany too saw red, leaving Burnley a man down and with their manager banished from the touchline. With his impudent penalty, Palmer added insult to injury to give Chelsea the lead.

Cullen's equaliser early in the second half stunned the home crowd and the Clarets would have been ahead had Petrovic not saved brilliantly one-handed from Lyle Foster's close-range header.

At the other end Muric was again Burnley’s saviour, beating away Jackson’s low first-time drive.

Chelsea thought they had won it when Sterling flicked the ball into the feet of Palmer, who crashed it into the bottom corner to restore the lead.

It lasted under three minutes. At once Burnley were up the other end winning a corner, and from it nobody in blue followed O’Shea as he ran across four defenders and headed the ball through Petrovic’s fumbled grasp to level.

Sterling have nodded wide after bursting onto Palmer’s far-post cross, before Jay Rodriguez headed against the crossbar in the 88th minute.