Blackburn Rovers drew their sixth game in eight Championship matches after a goalless stalemate at Middlesbrough extended John Eustace's wait for a first win.

Rovers were good value for a point on Teesside in an entertaining match that was filled with endeavour but lacked quality in the final third.

Sam Szmodics had Rovers' best opportunity, collecting Ryan Hedges' pass and forcing the host's goalkeeper into a smart save.

At the other end, Boro had their chances too. Marcus Forss should have scored at the back post after a corner was flicked on.

The second half was not filled with chances either but both teams could've won it. Sam Gallagher and Hedes tested the reflexes of Seny Dieng whilst a goal-mouth scramble saw the ball pinballed around the box but stayed out.

Boro could've won it though in the final minutes though as Issiah Jones' shot came back off the crossbar and substitute Sammy Silvera missed his kick in front of goal.

Rovers were in search of a tonic before the international break to lift spirits after a winless run. John Eustace's side were boosted by the return of Aynlsey Pears and Sondre Tronstad, with Ryan Hedges recalled too.

Kyle McFadzean's suspension saw the Rovers head coach switch to a 4-2-3-1 for the first time his reign. That offered more movement and rotation in the final third with Rovers in search of more goals.

In an entertaining half, both teams traded blows without showing enough quality to find the important opener. Emmanuel Latte Lath was denied by the legs of Aynsley Pears in the early stages.

Eustace's side responded. After a nice passage of play between Gallagher and Hedges the latter picked out Szmodics but he was denied by Seny Dieng.

Boro responded and should have taken the lead but spurned the best chance of the half. Luke Ayling flicked on a corner and the ball fell to Forss at the back post with the goal gaping but he somehow turned the ball across goal.

The remainder of the half passed by without too much goal-mouth action. Both teams got into some promising areas but the final pass or touch let them down.

The second half continued in a similar fashion but Rovers started to turn the screw around the hour mark. Gallagher tested the reflexes of Dieng after lovely footwork on the edge of the box from Hedges.

All the while, the defence was doing a good job a keeping Boro at arm's length. Matt Clarke headed a free-kick wide of the back post but Pears had very little to do.

At the other end, Rovers could not take advantage of a massive goal-mouth scramble. Scott Wharton got the cleanest connection but the ball pinballed around the box and stayed out of the goal.

Fin Azaz dragged a shot a few yards wide of the far post as Hedges went down the other end and forced Dieng to turn over another dangerous strike at goal.

The final and perhaps best chance of the half came to Middlesbrough. Jones' shot hit the crossbar and Silvera looked well-placed to win the match but missed the ball completely.

The performance felt like a step forward from Rovers, even if the end result is the same. Wins are needed to keep them up but this felt like a move in the right direction.

Rovers are up a place to 17th in the table and remain three points above the relegation zone.