Blackburn Rovers' poor run of form extended to one win in eight games as they twice surrendered the lead and drew 2-2 against rock-bottom Rotherham United.

Jon Dahl Tomasson's side have endured a miserable Christmas, losing their last three games over the festive period and missed the opportunity to start 2024 with a win.

They got off the perfect start with Arnor Sigurdsson scoring from inside the box after he was quickest to react to a loose ball. That broke down Rotherham's resistance after less than 10 minutes with the visitors intent to sit deep and counter-attack.

The Millers got themselves level though after an error from goalkeeper Leopold Wahlstedt. He got nowhere near a routine corner and that allowed Sean Morrison to head in the equaliser.

Rovers rallied and got themselves back in front less than 60 seconds after the restart. Top-scorer Sam Szmodics was on hand to round Vikor Johnasson for his 16th of the season after a lovely through ball from James Hill.

But Rovers' Achilles heel from 2023 has followed them into the New Year. They failed to kill the game off and their defensive frailties were exposed as Tom Eaves stooped to head in with less than 10 minutes remaining.

That secured only a third away point off the season for Leam Richardson's side, who haven't won away in the league for 14 months. This latest setback only adds to the growing discontent around Ewood Park after such a terrible run of results.

A New Year brings new optimism and Rovers fans were hopeful that the change of calendar might inspire an upturn from their miserable form.

Tomasson's side had lost six of their last seven league outings, with travel-sick reverses in Yorkshire against Huddersfield Town and Hull City over the Christmas period.

If Rovers wanted an opposition to face, on paper, Rotherham were the side. The Millers were yet to win an away Championship match this season. In fact, it had been 14 months since they had last tasted victory on the road, away at Sheffield United.

Dig a little deeper and the Millers' form away from South Yorkshire has been their Achilles heel in the Championship. 104 games, just nine wins, in the last four and a half seasons at second-tier level.

With the games coming thick and fast, Tomasson made three changes, reverting to the bulk of the side that lost on Boxing Day. Hayden Carter, Adam Wharton and Andrew Moran were all recalled in place of Dom Hyam (suspended), Jake Garrett and Dilan Markanday.

It meant a first home Championship start for Semir Telalovic, after his lively display at Hull on Friday. The German striker has needed to be patient in his start to life at Ewood Park but is finally getting an opportunity to show his value.

With 94 goals shipped between the two worst defences in the league this season, you'd have got a good price on nil-nil at kick-off. Rotherham sat in a low block in a 5-3-2 shape. 

The challenge for Rovers was to break down the deep defence and keep the back door shut at the other end, something they'd only done twice since mid-October.

It took less than 10 minutes for the hosts to break Rotherham's resolve, though. Sigurdsson was first to react inside the box after Szmodics' shot was blocked and he turned in his sixth goal of the campaign.

The chances kept flowing for Rovers as they put their foot on the gas for a second. Harry Pickering was denied by an excellent save from Johnasson as he drove the ball from the edge of the area.

At the other end, the Millers' best route to goal was through set-pieces. After mistakes in his previous three matches, Washlstedt looked nervous whenever the ball came into the box, with Hayden Carter forced to clear the ball off the line after he came and got nowhere near a corner.

That looked like Rotherham's only likely avenue of scoring because, in open play, it was one-way traffic. Morrison produced a phenomenal double block to first block Sigurdsson's goal-bound strike and then the rebound from Telalovic.

If it wasn't the defenders, it was wayward finishing. Szmodics had already seen one goal chalked off for offside and should've scored when he thighed Callum Brittain's pinpoint cross wide.

Then disaster struck. The warning signs had been there and Wahlstedt did not cover himself in glory as a corner was whipped in and headed in by captain Morrison. The Rovers goalkeeper was nowhere to be seen and for a fourth-consecutive match, he'd cost his side a goal.

At the other end, Rotherham's shot-stopper was keeping them in it. Szmodics was denied by the foot of Johnasson as Rovers pushed forward for the lead.

But, in a rare attack forward, it was the Millers who could've been in front at the half-way mark. Ollie Rathbone's shot from range crashed against the bar, hit the head of Wahlstedt and fell to safety.

It took less than 60 seconds after the half-time interval for Rovers to restore their lead. Hill's marauding run forward saw the Bournemouth loanee slip in Szmodics and he rounded the goalkeeper to make it 2-1.

Rotherham were not out of the contest though, by any means. They continued to look dangerous on the break and Tom Eaves should've had them level but he somehow turned Sam Nombe's cross over from inside the six-yard box.

The second-half performance was far more of a struggle. Passes were array and the slickness of the opening 45 minutes had gone. This instead became a bit of a slog, which suited Rotherham far more.

It wasn't that much of a shock then when Rotherham levelled for a second time in the game. Revan's cross from the right found the diving head of Eaves and he got ahead of Hill to stoop in to make it 2-2.

Rovers once again shot themselves in the foot, failing to build on an impressive first-half display. Individual errors were once again costly and the poor run of form is showing little sign of stopping.