Blackburn Rovers winning road away from home in the Championship came to an end as they were beaten 3-1 by Sheffield Wednesday.

The Owls took an early lead through Bailey Cadarmateri, turning in Josh Windass' low cross after just five minutes. Danny Rohl's side had the better of the earlier exchanges and could've added to their lead but for Leopold Wahlstedt and last-ditch defending.

Rovers improved as the game wore on though and levelled through Sam Szmodics. The Championship's top-scorer headed in at the back post for his 14th of the season, setting up a grandstand finish at Hillsborough.

However, Wednesday took the lead for a second time in controversial fashion. Marvin Johnson drove into the box and fired into the bottom corner, much to the frustration of Rovers head coach, Jon Dahl Tomasson.

The Danish head coach was initially booked for his complaints and then sent off shortly after. There were appeals for a foul from Rovers inside the box as Johnson carried it and then finished.

Rovers had 10 minutes to get themselves a point but struggled to create anything clear-cut. Instead, they conceded on the counter-attack to end any hopes of a point.

Josh Windass scampered through after a quick break and made no mistake one-vs-one to win the game for Wednesday. The defeat ends their four-match away winning record in the Championship.
Tomasson was forced to shuffle his pack once again with further injuries depleting his options. Arnor Sigurdsson was the latest name added to the growing list of unavailable players, with a groin injury keeping him out. With Tyrhys Dolan out for two months, Harry Leonard led the line with Scott Wharton coming back into the defence.

It meant Rovers named a nine-man bench with that exact number of Championship starts between them. Five of the substitutes mainly made up of Under-21 talent, were yet to make their league debut for Blackburn.

Embarking on their third game in seven days, you could understand a few tired legs with Tomasson unable to rotate his squad. That showed in the early stage as the hosts took an early lead.

James Hill's wayward header was picked up by Barry Bannan, who fed Josh Windass down the left. His low cross picked out Cadamarteri to score his first senior goal for the Owls.

Wednesday were fast out of the blocks, buoyed by their late equaliser against Leicester City in midweek. They were pressing high and winning the midfield battle, putting Rovers on the back foot.

However, their high press did leave space in-behind, which Rovers could exploit if they timed their run and pass. Andrew Moran was the first to break the offside trap and squared to Callum Brittain but he curled over the bar.

Wednesday remained in the ascendency though and Leopold Wahlstedt had to be down sharply to deny Josh Windass. The Owls forward then saw a goal-bound shot blocked from inside the box after finding too much space.

It was a disjointed display from Tomasson's men but they did start to find more rhythm as the half wore on. Di'Shon Bernard somehow turned Harry Pickering's dangerous cross over his own bar with Leonard lurking for a tap-in.

The best chance, though, fell to the man in form, Szmodics. He swivelled in the box but didn't connect properly with his left-footed strike and that gave Dawson the chance to stick a boot out and keep Wednesday ahead.

Szmodics was again at the heart of Rovers' best play after the break as he fired in a low cross which was cleared in front of the goal line. That was a warning side as Blackburn then drew themselves level.

Sustained pressure had brought little in the way of goal-mouth chances for Rovers but a great cross from Hill picked out Rovers' top-scorer and he headed in goal number 14 at the back post.

There only looked likely to be one winner from that stage but the footballing gods had other ideas. Wednesday, with their first attack of the second half, took the lead.

Johnson was allowed to carry the ball into the Rovers box and fired it low across goal. Tomasson was booked for his protestations and then shortly after sent off, with the Rovers head coach adamant there was a foul in the build-up to the goal.

Replays showed that Callum Paterson was holding Hill in the area, stopping him from closing down Johnson in the box. That ultimately proved to be te turning point as Wednesday then wrapped the game up.

With Rovers pushing men forward, they were caught on the counter-attack. Windass raced clear of the defence and made no mistakes one-vs-one to make it three.

Despite the defeat, Rovers stay in seventh place, still two points behind the play-off places. Next up, a home clash with Leeds United.