Rovers returned to winning ways with an emphatic 5-2 victory against Cardiff City at Ewood Park in the Carabao Cup third round.

Andy Moran bagged a brace, with Jake Garrett, Arnor Sigurdsson and Dilan Markanday also getting on the scoresheet while Callum Robinson and Jion Etete struck for the visitors.

Jon Dahl Tomasson made eight changes to the side that lost at Ipswich last weekend, with only Harry Pickering, Andy Moran and Arnor Sigurdsson retaining their places.

Leo Wahlstedt got the nod in goal, having made his debut during the emphatic win against Harrogate in the previous round.

Wahlstedt and Sigurdsson were both handed their first appearances at Ewood Park – the latter scoring nine minutes into his debut at Portman Road last time out. The Iceland international had previously been forced to watch from the sidelines due to a groin injury.

Meanwhile, Semir Telalovic and James Hill received their first starts after joining from Borussia Monchengladbach and Bournemouth respectively before the end of the transfer window.

Joe Rankin-Costello returned to the side, having made three appearances off the bench since recovering from a hamstring issue.

Scott Wharton captained the side, while the likes of Callum Brittain, Adam Wharton, Sam Szmodics and Zak Gilsenan were named on the bench.

Cardiff also made changes from the side that won 1-0 at Sunderland last weekend, with Jonathan Panzo making his first start since joining on loan from Nottingham Forest. The Welsh club named a young bench, with six teenagers and three players aged 21 or over.

Rovers started brightly and felt they should have had a penalty when Rankin-Costello appeared to be tugged back as he tried to get on the end of Dilan Markanday’s clever pass, but their appeals were waved away by referee Andrew Kitchen.

Wahlstedt was called into action moments later, making a smart stop with his feet to deny Etete from a tight angle.

Tomasson’s men went in front Garrett latched onto Hill’s long ball over the top and kept his cool to slot past the onrushing Alex Runarsson.

The midfielder has scored in all three of Rovers’ Carabao Cup games this season as he aims to nail down a regular place in the side.

Sigurdsson, who caused Mahlon Romeo plenty of problems during the opening stages, then did well to beat his man but couldn’t squeeze a shot through a crowded penalty area.

The visitors got back on level terms when Robinson was given too much space and punished Rovers with a thumping strike from well outside the box.

Moran couldn’t keep his strike down after a well-worked free kick as Tomasson’s men looked to regain the lead.

Tronstad also went close, sending an effort just wide of the post after combining with Sigurdsson in the box.

Markanday continued to look lively and did well to get to the byline, but his cross-shot was blocked by Runarsson on the half-hour mark.

Rovers went back in front when Moran cut back for Sigurdsson in the box and the Icelander made no mistake with a clinical finish.

Scoring in his first couple of starts will do the 24-year-old’s confidence a world of good as he adjusts to the demands of English football.

Romaine Sawyers dragged an effort wide before Rubin Colwill blazed over as the Bluebirds searched for an immediate response.

The equaliser came on the stroke of half time when Etete showed good skill before beating Wahlstedt with a low drive across goal.

Conceding so close to the break was a blow for Tomasson’s men, but they didn’t waste any time feeling sorry for themselves.

Moran struck early in the second half, smashing past Runarsson after pouncing on a defensive error. It was his first goal since arriving on loan from Premier League Brighton.

The youngster continued to find himself in the thick of the action, skipping past his man before he was brought down in the box.

However, Sigurdsson’s spot kick was saved by Runarsson, who guessed the right way and got a strong hand to the ball.

Any feelings of disappointment were soon quashed when a corner was played out to Moran and he found the bottom corner with a lovely strike from 25 yards. Rovers had seized control of the tie after a hectic start to the second half.

Sigurdsson made way for Szmodics just after the hour mark and received a warm reception from the home crowd. Brittain had also been introduced at the break, allowing Pickering to get some rest.

The visitors continued to struggle with Markanday’s pace and the former Tottenham winger managed to get in behind the backline. He unselfishly tried to square for Telalovic but Ebou Adams made a vital challenge with Runarsson caught in no man’s land.

Cardiff nearly pulled one back midway through the second half, but substitute James Crole’s effort was slightly too high and clipped the roof of the net.

Things got even better for Rovers when Markanday added a fifth, seeing his strike bounce in off the post. It was the least he deserved after an energetic display on the flank.

Tomasson opted to make a double change 17 minutes from time, with Travis and Gilsenan joining the fray in place of Garrett and Telalovic.

Moran nearly sealed his hat trick inside the final 10 minutes but couldn’t keep his shot down after a good run.

Rovers have now scored 17 goals in three Carabao Cup matches this term, and Tomasson will be keen for his side to show a similar ruthlessness in the league.

Wahlstedt, Rankin-Costello, Hill, S Wharton, Pickering (Brittain 46), Tronstad, Garrett (Travis 73), Moran, Sigurdsson (Szmodics 61), Markanday (Carter 79), Telalovic (Gilsenan (73). Unused: Pears, Hyam, A Wharton, Bloxham