Jack Coop blasted his way past the 50-goal mark for Prestwich Heys as they came out on top with an ultimately comfortable 3-0 win against Ramsbottom United at Adie Moran Park on Tuesday night.

The Heys striker went into the game with 49 Heys goals to his name but by half time he had hit and then passed the half-century milestone to set his side on their way to victory, sealed by a superb strike by Kai Haigh midway through a second half.

This first ‘Bury’ derby of the season was a hard-fought affair and in the first half there was little to choose between the sides.

Indeed, the visitors arguably enjoyed the better of things, Oscar Radcliffe heading wide from a corner in the fifth minute.

Heys were struggling to find their rhythm and were forced into an early change when Brad Sixsmith picked up a knock to be replaced by Tyler James in the 12th minute. However, three minutes later they came close when a Saidkhon Khamidov header from a corner was cleared off the line.

In the 35th minute they did take the lead when a lightning break by Khamidov down the left saw him cut inside- to find Coop, 30 yards out. The striker advanced before then firing past the despairing dive of Rams keeper Ryan Hamer.

Five minutes later he had his second when the away side got themselves in a real mess as they struggled to clear their lines and a wayward clearance by Hamer, from outside his box, went straight to Rio Wilson-Heyes who broke forward before driving the ball goalwards. On its way, the ball was seized on by Coop who fired home with Hamer still scurrying back.

Heys took their momentum into the second half. Within two minutes Bradley Sullivan created space for Wilson-Heyes whose low shot curled wide of the post and then in the 51st minute the energetic Khamidov burst forward and fired in a shot from 25 yards that Hamer pushed away for a corner.

A promising move down the right from the visitors ended with a first-time shot from Matt Dudley who fired just over but any hopes they harboured of a comeback were shot to pieces in the 69th minute.

As Heys broke, James cut in from the left to find Haigh 25 yards out and he let fly with a rocket that flew into the top corner.

Wilson-Heyes’ angled shot came off the inside of the post and out and it ended 3-0.

Both sides went in to the derby clash in buoyant mood having both picked up impressive wins on their travels at the weekend.

Dudley scored twice as the Rams came from behind to beat league leaders Kendal Town 2-1.

Heys enjoyed a hard-fought 2-0 win against FC Isle of Man at The Bowl in Douglas.

After Jordan Hadlow saved a spot-kick, Heys broke the deadlock on the half-hour mark through Coop and substitute Greg Daniels grabbed a second goal in the last minute.