Sam Szmodics went from zero to hero as Rovers came from 2-0 down to claim a point against Rotherham.

Tomasson’s men were keen to make amends for their crushing defeat at the New York Stadium last season but went behind to goals from Hakeem Odoffin and Fred Onyedinma either side of half time.

Onyedinma was then shown a bizarre red card before Szmodics, who had earlier missed a penalty, scored a quickfire double to send the away end into hysterics. There was an element of good fortune with his first but the second was an ice cool finish.

Tomasson made one change from the side that beat West Brom on the opening day, with Adam Wharton replacing Sondre Tronstad, who dropped to the bench.

Sam Gallagher returned to the squad after missing the first couple of games due to a knock picked up in training.

New signing Leo Wahlstedt was also named on the bench following his move from Norwegian club Odds BK.

As for the hosts, Ben Wiles made the starting line-up after recovering from a dead leg but Andre Green and Grant Hall both missed out.

The opening stages were nervy, with both sides getting into some good areas but struggling to make a dent in the final third.

Cohen Bramall looked lively on the left but was unable to pick out a team-mate in the box after some good defending by Dom Hyam.

Rovers were handed a big chance to open the scoring after 15 minutes when Rankin-Costello was brought down in the box after reacting quickly to a loose ball.

Szmodics sent Viktor Johansson the wrong way from the spot but saw the ball bounce back off the foot of the post before Tyrhys Dolan volleyed wide on the rebound.

At the other end, former Preston North End man Jordan Hugill won possession from Wharton and drove forwards but his strike was fairly straightforward for Aynsley Pears to deal with in the Rovers goal.

The hosts went in front midway through the first half after a costly error by Szmodics, who seemed to be having one of those days. The midfielder’s loose pass fell to Odoffin and he made no mistake, smashing past the helpless Pears.

Rankin-Costello managed to get to the byline before picking out Hayden Carter in the box, but his shot was blocked by a defender as Rovers searched for an immediate response. Wharton also went for goal moments later but couldn’t keep his strike down.

Cafu then tried his luck with a powerful free kick after Szmodics was judged to have fouled his man, but the wall did its job.

Hyam made an important challenge on the stroke of half time as Hugill was about to pull the trigger after Rovers had again lost possession in their own half.

The second half got off to a frantic pace as Onyedinma was given too much space in the box and powered a header past Pears. The Luton loanee was booked, seemingly for his celebrations.

Just three minutes later, he was shown a second booking by referee Robert Madley and had to leave the field.

Matt Taylor, his assistant Wayne Carlisle and Johansson were all cautioned for their protests in a chaotic spell.

Tomasson made a triple change, with Niall Ennis, Ryan Hedges and Callum Brittain all entering the fray in place of Lewis Travis, Dilan Markanday and Harry Leonard.

Leonard and Markanday were the heroes against West Brom but struggled to make an impact on the game this time around.

Brittain slotted into the backline, with Rankin-Costello taking up a more advanced position. The versatile full-back immediately found himself in the thick of the action, picking out Dolan in the box, but the youngster couldn’t keep his first-time effort down.

Gallagher came off the bench 22 minutes from time – his first appearance since the goalless draw at Fleetwood in pre-season.

Rovers continued to have joy down the right flank and could have pulled one back when Hedges poked wide from close range after getting on the end of Brittain’s cross.

Rankin-Costello also sent a low drive from the edge of the area just wide of the post as Tomasson’s side kept applying pressure.

The breakthrough came heading into the final 15 minutes when Szmodics found a pocket of space in the box. His shot brushed off a defender and wrong-footed Johansson.

The momentum had swung and it wasn’t long before Rovers got back on level terms in front of the travelling fans.

It was Szmodics again, latching onto Ennis’ pass and keeping his cool to go round the goalkeeper before slotting past a defender on the line.

Substitute Sean Morrison sent a header over the bar before Harry Pickering shot straight at Johansson as both sides searched for a winner.

Pickering had another chance in the final five minutes, but his dipping strike was kept out by a fine stop by Johansson above his head.

Hyam then thought he had scored the winner after turning home from Ennis’ cross-shot, but the defender was denied by the offside flag.

John Buckley also joined the action in stoppage time before Gallagher had a header saved by Johansson after rising well to meet Brittain’s cross. It looked like a moment written in the stars for a brief moment but the goalkeeper was equal to it.

Pears, Rankin-Costello, Hyam, Carter, Pickering, Travis (Brittain 57), A Wharton (Buckley 95), Markanday (Hedges 57), Szmodics, Dolan (Gallagher 68), Leonard (Ennis 57). Unused: Wahlstedt, Tronstad, S Wharton, Garrett