Here is a round-up of behind-the-headlines Rovers stories.



Rovers defender Scott Wharton was replaced due to fears of concussion.

Wharton was one of six changes for Rovers’ FA Cup tie at Norwich City but was replaced by Ash Phillips inside the opening 10 minutes.

The 25-year-old sustained a head injury when clearing an early corner and was replaced after receiving treatment on the field.

With fears of concussion, Rovers will now follow the necessary protocol which will put in doubt his involvement in the weekend game at Rotherham United.

Jon Dahl Tomasson said: “We were worried about that (concussion). He’s alright at the moment but we will follow the protocol.”



Rovers’ scheduled game with Blackpool later this month will have to be re-arranged.

Blackpool’s win over Nottingham Forest on Saturday meant the Championship fixture between Rovers and the Seasiders on Saturday, January 28 wouldn’t be going ahead.

Fourth round ties are scheduled for that same weekend, with Rovers booking their spot in round four with victory over Norwich City on Sunday.

Rovers will face Forest Green Rovers or Birmingham City in round four, while Blackpool face a trip to Southampton.

Fifth round ties will take place on Wednesday, February 1, so wouldn’t clash with any scheduled Championship fixtures.

A new date for the Blackpool game will be announced in due course, but will now be a midweek fixture.

Rovers won the reverse fixture at Bloomfield Road 1-0.



At the same time Rovers were progressing in the FA Cup, the Under-21s started 2023 with three points at Wolves.

Ben Fyles scored a 58th minute penalty as Mike Sheron’s side moved up to 10th in Premier League 2.

Fyles’ shot was blocked by the hand of a Wolves defender, with the winger picking up the ball to slot home from 12 yards.

That was the start of a busy period for Mike Sheron’s side who have four home games in the space of 11 days coming up, starting with Wednesday’s Premier League International Cup tie with Valencia.

Meanwhile, Rovers Under-18s claimed only a third victory of the season at Liverpool.

Trialist Ari Shaw came off the bench to score what proved to be the winner for Ryan Kidd’s side.

Terrence Miles put the hosts ahead before Junior Nsangou levelled things up from the penalty spot.

Three minutes after coming on, Ben Thirkill scored on his comeback appearance after injury to put Rovers ahead, but that lead lasted only two minutes after the hosts equalised through Iwan Roberts.

Having set up Rovers’ second goal for Thirkill, Shaw got in on the action to fire home from George Chmiel’s pass and give Rovers victory late on.



Louie Annesley will look to kick his career on as he nears a move to League of Ireland side Dundalk FC.

The 22-year-old, who sees his deal expire in the summer, is closing in on a move to Dundalk, with a deal close to being announced.

Annesley was loaned to National League side Barnet last month, a deal that included the option to buy.

But after only one league appearance and a further outing in the FA Cup, Annesley returned to Rovers with the Bees not taking up that option.

Annesley has made one senior appearance for Rovers, in the Carabao Cup tie at Bradford City in August, since joining from Lincoln Red Imps in January 2019.

The 35-capped Gibraltar international, who has been a regular for Rovers Under-21s and also spent time on loan at Woking, is now set to leave Ewood Park on a permanent basis.



Lorenzo Amoruso had an injury-hit three years at Rovers between 2003 and 2006 after joining from Rangers in a deal worth just over £1m.

He has been speaking about his time at Ewood Park during an interview with FourFourTwo magazine.

He said: “I left Rangers reluctantly. I never wanted to leave, because I'd hoped to finish my career at Ibrox.

“But there were huge financial problems at the club, just like there had been at Fiorentina before. They weren't in a position to renew my deal, so I had to find somewhere else to play football.

“Fortunately I got to play in the Premier League, which I'd previously hoped to do someday.

“My experiences of the Premier League were terrific because, at that time, it was starting to become the biggest and most glamorous league in Europe. It had many powerful players and some of the greatest strikers in the world - it was really tough for a new defender to adapt.

“I played against Alan Shearer, Michael Owen and so many other top players. I loved my time at Blackburn, even if I didn't play as much as I would have liked due to injuries.”