A stunner from captain Lewis Travis got the Jon Dahl Tomassson era off to a winning start.

Travis thumped home a 25-yarder in the 34th minute, a goal that proved to be the difference between the sides.

Rovers had the better of the chances and put in a huge effort off the ball to see out a deserved three points.

The visitors rarely threatened, and even though Rovers tired towards the end, they were good value for the win.

The first team selection of head coach Tomasson saw Jack Vale handed his first senior start in attack.

It was otherwise as expected, with an attacking line-up named as part of a 4-2-3-1 formation.

There was a rousing reception for Rovers’ new head coach as he was unveiled to a damp Ewood Park ahead of kick-off.

It was an all-action start for Rovers though a little frenetic at times in their bid to make things happen.

Ryan Hedges was picked as the man to link the midfield and an attack that was otherwise very fluid.

But while Rovers were playing with purpose there were very few clear-cut chances being created.

As Rovers started to look narrow in their approach, QPR began take control.

The opening 20 minutes had been uneventful, bar a deflected Ben Brereton shot hitting the side-netting, until the visitors hit the bar out of nowhere.

Right back Osman Kakay was invited to shoot from distance, his effort clipping the bar on the way over.

John Buckley, on his 100th appearance, had already been booked for a cynical challenge on Ilias Chair when pulling back Olamide Shodipo and was fortunate to escape what would have been a second yellow card inside the opening half hour.

At this stage Rovers were in need of some inspiration. A succession of corners offered hope to the home supporters who were off their seats in the 34th minute as Rovers took the lead.

When one of those set pieces had been cleared, Travis had no other thought on his mind than to shoot when given the chance from 25 yards, his curling effort with inch-perfect precision to bend out of reach of Seny Dieng.

It was the spark they needed, the front four began to come to life as they finished the half the stronger.

A fine cross-field pass from Buckley was knocked down by Callum Brittain into the path of the onrushing Brereton who put his foot through a rocket of a shot that required the fingertips of Dieng to turn it over.

The ‘keeper then had to be quickly off his line to deny Brereton when played in by Buckley as Rovers went into the break on the front foot.

A poor kick in the opening exchanges of the second half from Thomas Kaminski afforded Ilias Chair a chance to run towards the box, though his shot could only find the side-netting.

Brereton ended the first half seeing more of the ball, and looked a threat early in the second, first exchanging passes with Hedges to curl goalwards, though Dieng was down quickly to his left to save comfortably.

Dieng was extended a little more in the 49th minute, Brereton getting in down the left, his effort across the ‘keeper kept out by his outstretched leg.

Rovers were getting through plenty of work, allowing them to restrict QPR, but a change came just after the hour mark, with Tyrhys Dolan on for Vale.

While chances weren’t free flowing, Rovers were moving the ball well and keeping a good energy to their play, much to the pleasure of the watching Tomasson who rarely left the edge of his technical area.

QPR made all their five changes in quick succession in a bid to turn the tide but Rovers were doing their defensive work well, Daniel Ayala a commanding figure in the heart of the back four.

Unsurprising given the energy exerted, Rovers were beginning to tire as the game ticked into the final 10 minutes.

They were managing the game well, a long-range strike from Luke Thomas that flew well over the bar, was a rare attempt at goal from the visitors.

Brereton tried his luck with three minutes of the 90 remaining, his shot across Dieng narrowly wide of the target.

As the three minutes additional time were about to be signalled, Rovers thought they had made certain of the victory. Buckley won the ball in midfield, slid in Dolan whose cross was turned in by Brereton, but his celebrations were cut short by the linesman’s flag.

An excellent late take from Kaminski took the pressure off his side as Rovers saw the three added minutes to see out an opening day win for the second successive season.

Rovers: Kaminski, Brittain, Ayala, S Wharton, Pickering, Travis, Buckley, Gallagher, Hedges, Brereton, Vale (Dolan, 64)

Subs: Pears, Barnes, Edun, A Wharton, Dack, Markanday

QPR: Dieng, Kakay, Dickie, Clarke-Salter, Paal, Johansen (Armstrong, 77), Field, Dozzell (Thomas, 64), Shodipo (Adomah, 64), Chair (Richards, 77), Dykes (Bonne, 77)

Subs: Walsh, Dunne