Tony Mowbray wouldn’t be critical of his team after a first defeat in 10 matches – and stopped short of giving both barrels to the officials after a night of frustration.

Rovers lost for the first time in 11 Championship matches as goals from George Honeyman and Tom Eaves gave the Tigers the points on a night where their takeover was confirmed.

Honeyman put them ahead eight minutes in before Eaves’ goal midway through the second half killed off any hopes Rovers had of a comeback.

They were left aggrieved by refereeing decisions, feeling Ben Brereton should have had a first half penalty when he was bundled to the floor by Di’Shon Bernard just as he was about to shoot after being played in by John Buckley.

Thomas Kaminski was then taken out in the air as he challenged for a high ball that was eventually headed in by Eaves.

That left the players and manager incensed, but the goal stood, and despite being unable to recover, Mowbray said there would be no criticism of his side after their unbeaten run came to an end.

He said: “I don't want to be critical of this team, they've been amazing for two-and-a-half months and worked their socks off. They came here with every intention of carrying on.

“Sometimes football can do that, that which is why I try not to get carried away after the run we’ve been on. Football can kick you in the backside as it has and we'll brush ourselves down and get ready for the next one.

“The players are working hard, on another night we could have easily won that match but it’s difficult to say that at 2-0.

“We had moments but not clinical enough around the box and didn’t ask them enough questions.”

Rovers had their moments in the game, Reda Khadra denied by a goal-line clearance, while Brereton and Tayo Edun both drew saves from Nathan Baxter as they started the second half strongly.

However, Hull had several good opportunities after making it 2-0 and in the end could have won by more.

The decision not to award Brereton a first half penalty, or rule out Hull’s second goal for a foul, were big moments in the game however, with Mowbray bemused by the calls.

He said: “When you have a result like we’ve had, it's not the time for me to moan about officials.

“I do most weeks, I'm genuinely not sure if the standard is good enough. But the result is the result. I can't change it now but I did feel the team were harshly done by, particularly with the penalty.

“If that's not a penalty then I don't know what is a penalty. We have to accept it and move on.

“We fell short. We huffed and puffed, the chances came and went. It was always a dangerous game.

“I felt we could have scored having watched Hull, I thought they were vulnerable and yet we didn't function as we might have hoped but give them credit, they played well.”

Rovers struggled to deal with the physicality of Eaves who caused the back three problems all night.

“Eaves gave us a few physical problems but at the end of the day, we've played against big centre-forwards all season and not had many problems,” Mowbray added.

“He gave them a platform up the pitch and used his body pretty well and he scored a goal, so you have to say he had a good evening against us which is a frustration because we hoped he wouldn't see much of the ball and we'd have more of it.”