Harrison Wood scored twice as Rovers Under-18s once again caught the eye in the FA Youth Cup with a 3-0 win over Stoke City.

Rovers, top of the Under-18s Premier League, cruised into round five where they will meet either Sheffield Wednesday or Preston North End.

Harry Leonard was also on target as Rovers dominated for the majority against the Potters at Leyland.

They thrashed Birmingham City 5-1 in the opening round and could have scored more than the three they managed, though Stoke themselves did have opportunities but found Felix Goddard in the way.

Rovers were able to go as strong as they could, Ash Phillips returning to the side after injury in the one change from the third round win at Birmingham City last month.

Ryan Kidd’s side hadn’t played since and were involved in a competitive opening quarter against a Stoke side who are also in the Under-18s Premier League.

Emre Tezgel became the Potters youngest ever player in their FA Cup win over Leyton Orient and captained the visitors. He had the game’s first shot on goal, an effort on the turn flashing wide in the fourth minute.

Jack Griffiths then tested Felix Goddard with nine minutes on the watch as he ran clear of Phillips as Stoke posed an early threat.

Rovers weren’t without their own opportunities, Harrison Wood glancing a header wide from a Jake Batty cross, before Wood wriggled away from his marker to drag a shot across Tommy Simkin but wide of the target.

There was a sense that Rovers were starting to take control as the game moved into the second quarter, Charlie Weston firing a shot wide from the edge of the box after Stoke failed to fully clear a corner.

There were 28 minutes on the watch when Rovers did take the lead, Wood finishing off a move that he was heavily involved in before firing home from eight yards from Jay Haddow’s pull-back.

It would have been two seconds later as Wood found Batty on the left, the wing-back cutting inside his marker before his shot was somehow tipped over the bar by Simkin.

Rovers were really starting to take control, their passing too quick for Stoke who were struggling to live with their intensity.

A crunching Batty tackle created a shooting opportunity for Leonard whose 30-yarder was pushed around the post by Simkin.

That proved to be a sighter for Leonard as Rovers found the second goal they deserved a minute before the break. Leonard lined a free-kick up from 25 yards that was in from the moment it bent over the wall.

It was then game over only a minute after the re-start. Wood slalomed his way into a shooting position before arrowing an effort beyond the reach of Simkin.

To their credit Stoke were still looking to play and substitute Ryanjay Malbon tested Goddard with an effort from 25-yards that the keeper was equal to.

Wood’s hat-trick celebrations were then cut short in the 65th minute, the attacker finding the finish to match the excellent approach play from Adam Caddick, only to be flagged offside.

Malbon had added some life to the Stoke midfield, another shot with 20 minutes to play drawing another save from Goddard who was equal to it.

He did find a way beyond the Rovers’ keeper, tapping in after he palmed away a Tezgel shot, but like Wood he saw the linesman’s flag see his celebrations end.

Rovers were able to give rest to Phillips and Leonard in the closing stages, with Wood staying on in pursuit of his hat-trick, Simkin beating him to an O’Grady Macken through ball.

That wasn’t to come, but Rovers would be happy with their night’s work as they moved into the last 16.

Rovers: Goddard, Haddow, Gamble, Pratt, Phillips (Gent, 80), Batty, Weston, Wharton, Caddick (O’Grady-Macken, 75), Wood, Leonard (Chmiel, 85)

Subs: Gent, Craven, Montgomery, Biniek, Duru

Stoke: Simkin, Okagbue (Udanoh, 90), Bickerton, Cargill, Roney (Smith, 75), Curl, Knowles, Lewis, Tezgoal, Griffiths, Waldo (Malbon, 46)

Subs: Asplin-Rowley, Robson, Lusakueno, Waite