Rovers were handed a draw to League One side Wigan Athletic in the FA Cup third round.

The tie will be played on the weekend of January 8/9 2022, 15 years since Rovers last managed a victory at the DW Stadium.

Their victory came on New Year’s Day 2007 thanks to an Emile Heskey own goal, a Matt Derbyshire strike and Benni McCarthy penalty.

It’s been hard going since, with red cards, managerial dismissals and lots of controversy along the way.

Here’s a run-down of those 11 winless trips.


Saturday, June 27 2020 – Wigan Athletic 2-0 Blackburn Rovers 0

This fixture was Rovers’ next scheduled away trip before the postponement of the season in March. When it was played three months later no fans were in attendance as Rovers missed the chance to move into the top six while Wigan boosted their hopes of survival.

Two goals in the final 10 minutes from Lee Evans and Michael Jacobs gave the Latics victory, although their chances of beating the drop were dented significantly in the subsequent days as they entered administration.


Tuesday, November 28 2018 – Wigan Athletic 3-1 Blackburn Rovers

It was a second defeat in four days infront of a packed away following for Rovers.

This 3-1 defeat followed a 4-1 reverse at Preston North End as Rovers’ strong start to life back into the Championship began to fade away.

Lancashire Telegraph:

Gary Roberts put the hosts ahead in the first half while James Vaughan doubled the advantage from the spot just after the break.

A Dan Burn own goal gave Rovers hope late on but Callum McManaman restored the two-goal lead soon after.


Saturday, October 28 2017 – Wigan Athletic 0-0 Blackburn Rovers

The pair were doing battle towards the top end of the League One table when they played out a goalless draw. The biggest talking point was a red card for Elliott Bennett, a second booking for diving which incensed the Rovers midfielder and his manager.


Saturday, August 13 2016 – Wigan Athletic 3-0 Blackburn Rovers

The worst possible start to Owen Coyle’s reign saw Rovers beaten 3-0 in their first away game having lost 4-1 to Norwich City on the opening day at Ewood.

A second half Shane Duffy own goal compounded a miserable afternoon for Rovers who trailed 2-0 at the break to goals from Will Grigg and Nick Powell.

Lancashire Telegraph:


Saturday, January 17 2015 – Wigan Athletic 1-1 Blackburn Rovers

A rare Corry Evans goal had Rovers ahead in their quest for a first away victory since October.

However, that wait went on, eventually ended with a 2-1 win at Sheffield Wednesday in March, as James McLean equaliser for the hosts just after the hour.


Sunday, October 6 2013 – Wigan Athletic 2-1 Blackburn Rovers

Ten-man Rovers were beaten by Owen Coyle’s Wigan, the game turning on a red card for Grant Hanley.

Rovers led through Tommy Spurr’s eighth-minute goal but then saw Hanley dismissed in the 31st minute.

They held out until the 69th when the unfortunate Spurr put through his own net before late heartbreak struck as Emmerson Boyce netted a 90th minute winner.


Saturday, November 19 2011 – Wigan Athletic 3-3 Blackburn Rovers

Yakubu snatched a point for 10-man Rovers with his penalty nine minutes into stoppage time.

It was a game shrouded in controversy, the hosts feeling Rovers’ second goal from Junior Hoilett came after Morten Gamst Pedersen dribbled the ball from a corner.

Balaji and Venkatesh Rao were both at the game, one year on from their takeover of Rovers who led after 68 seconds through Yakubu.

Lancashire Telegraph:

Jordi Gomez and Gary Caldwell put the hosts ahead at the break before Rovers were reduced to 10 men in the 48th minute when Dunn was sent off.

Hoilett then scored from Pedersen’s cross from the controversial corner, and while Albert Crusat thought he’d won it for the hosts two minutes from time, Yakubu showed calmness from the spot to rescue a point.


Saturday, February 5 2011 – Wigan Athletic 4-3 Blackburn Rovers

Latics edged a seven-goal thriller, four of which came within a 15 minute second half spell.

Jason Roberts netted against his former club but Rovers were soon 3-1 down thanks to a James McCarthy brace and Hugo Rodallega strike.

No sooner had Chris Samba pulled one back that Ben Watson made it 4-2 from the spot, while a late David Dunn penalty proved only to be a consolation.


Saturday, December 26 2009 – Wigan Athletic 1-1 Blackburn Rovers

Benni McCarthy scored his first league goal of the season, but Sam Allardyce’s side had to settle for a point after Hugo Rodallega equalised early in the second half.


Saturday, December 13 2008 – Wigan Athletic 3-0 Blackburn Rovers

Paul Ince was sacked three days after a sixth successive league defeat for Rovers who were second bottom of the table.

Wigan were 2-0 up inside 12 minutes through Emile Heskey and Antonio Valencia with Lee Cattermole adding a third in the final quarter.

Lancashire Telegraph:


Saturday, December 15 2007 – Wigan Athletic 5-3 Blackburn Rovers

Eight goals, two hat-tricks and a red card, but Rovers came out on the wrong side of an action-packed game.

Wigan matched their tally of goals from their previous nine games to take victory and raced into a 3-0 lead.

Benni McCarthy had a penalty save before Roque Santa Cruz handed them a lifeline on the stroke of half-time.

The Paraguayan scored again five minutes after the re-start, and despite being furious at a second yellow card shown to Brett Emerton, the 10 men levelled to make it 3-3 on the hour.

Their efforts were undone however as former Rovers striker Marcus Bent added two more to his, and Wigan’s tally to complete his hat-trick and secure victory.