Burnley fans got their first glimpse of new record signing Maxwel Cornet but even the Ivory Coast international couldn't prevent them from falling to a 1-0 defeat to Arsenal at Turf Moor.

Cornet, a summer capture from Lyon, provided the Clarets faithful with a noticeable boost when he was introduced just before the hour mark.

But despite Sean Dyche's men creating plenty of openings in the final third of the game - and having a penalty given and then over-ruled - Martin Odegaard's first-half free-kick was enough to secure all three points for the Gunners.

Despite a lively start, it was Arsenal who fashioned the first chance in the fifth minute, Kieran Tierney getting in behind Matt Lowton and firing a low cross into the six-yard box but Nicholas Pepe failed to convert at the second attempt.

Ashley Barnes spurned a glorious chance on 14 minutes, heading wide – unmarked – from 12 yards after a delightful ball in from Josh Brownhill.

The Gunners took the lead on the half-hour mark, Odegaard giving Pope no chance with a free-kick from 22-yards out after Ashley Westwood had upended Bakayo Saka just outside the D.

It was a frustrating blow for the Clarets who had looked comfortable keeping Arsenal at bay before Pope hit a hurried clearance out of play.

The Clarets continued to try and create chances and only a brave challenge from Gabriel and Takehiro Tomiyasu stopped Barnes from getting another sight of Aaron Ramsdale’s goal six minutes before the break.

Burnley started the second half with plenty of purpose and both Gudmundsson and Westwood had efforts blocked before Emile Smith Rowe fired straight at Pope to give a timely reminder of the visitors’ threat.

The introduction of record signing Cornet and Matej Vydra just before the hour mark was greeted with a huge roar and it almost paid off immediately with the Ivory Coast international seeing a shot well-saved after some neat interplay in the Arsenal box.

Both sides continued to press and Pope did well to smother a Pepe shot behind for a corner after the visitors had withstood a spell of pressure from Burnley.

The Clarets thought they had a way back into the game on 68 minutes when ref Anthony Taylor awarded a penalty for a foul by Ramsdale on Vydra after the Czech striker capitalised on a sloppy Ben White back pass.

But after being asked to consult the VAR monitor the penalty was rescinded, replays showing that Ramsdale did get a touch on the ball before bringing down Vydra.

Undeterred, the Clarets continued to look for the equaliser and Chris Wood headed a Matt Lowton cross just over on 78 minutes before McNeil hit the side netting with a low shot two minutes later.

As the clock ticked down into injury time, sub Jay Rodriguez glanced a header wide and the Clarets saw their chance of a point slip away.

Burnley: Pope; Lowton, Tarkowski, Mee, Taylor; Gudmundsson (Cornet 57), Westwood, Brownhill, McNeil; Wood (Rodriguez 82), Barnes (Vydra 57).

Subs: Hennessey, Cork, Lennon, Collins, Pieters, Bardsley.

Arsenal: Ramsdale; Tierney (Tavares 78), Magalhaes, White, Tomiyasu; Saka, Odegaard, Partey (Maitland-Niles 75), Smith Rowe (Lokonga 61); Pepe, Aubameyang.

Subs: Leno, Lacazette, Holding, Soares, Mari, Martinelli.