Sean Dyche believes Burnley have to 'tidy up the details' after slipping to a 2-0 defeat at Liverpool.

While the Clarets boss was happy with his side's overall performance - and thought Burnley should have had a penalty - it is now two defeats out of two for Burnley.

Burnley enjoyed a famous 1-0 win on their last visit to Anfield but a goal in each half from Diogo Jota and Sadio Mane sealed victory for Jurgen Klopp's men.

“I thought overall it was a decent performance," said Dyche whose side return to action in the EFL Cup at Newcastle on Wednesday. “Tough place to come, it is generally, but obviously with the crowd back in, the noise and feel of it. I thought the players handled that really well.

“I thought we should have had a penalty on Dwight McNeil, but we know our record for them.

“We have to tidy up the details, at both ends, because we had chances again today and didn’t quite find that killer moment, but there’s certainly the right energy and feel about the group at the minute.”

The Clarets, who were beaten 2-1 at home by Brighton on the opening weekend of the season, caused the hosts some problems but could not prevent another defeat.

Early in the first half, Jota sent a third-minute header wide and Burnley – wearing numbers one to 11 on their shirts in a throwback to the past – appeared to go close as Dwight McNeil drilled a shot against the post, only for the flag to go up for offside.

Alisson Becker saved a header from Chris Wood in the 17th minute, and McNeil then went down in the Liverpool box under pressure from Trent Alexander-Arnold, with referee Mike Dean saying no penalty.

Moments later the Reds were in front as Jota connected with Kostas Tsimikas’ delivery from the left and headed home.

Alisson was called into action again soon after, getting down to push away a McNeil strike, before Mohamed Salah saw an effort turned behind by Pope and Virgil Van Dijk headed over from the resulting corner.

Salah then thought he had doubled the advantage in the 26th minute, being fed by Harvey Elliott – the 18-year-old making his first Premier League start – and stroking a shot into the corner of the net, but the effort was ruled out for offside following a VAR check.

Mane and Naby Keita saw efforts go off-target as the hosts continued to search for a second goal, before Alisson was beaten to the ball at the other end by James Tarkowski, whose header bounced wide.

Burnley had the ball in the Liverpool net shortly after the break via Ashley Barnes’ finish, but again an assistant referee’s flag was raised to signal offside.

As Liverpool continued to pressurise, Salah saw his low strike kept out by a fine block from McNeil on the hour mark.

Mane was then twice denied by Pope before beating the England goalkeeper to put Liverpool 2-0 up, firing home after the ball had been worked from Elliott to Alexander-Arnold and on to him.

Burnley: Pope; Lowton, Tarkowski, Mee, Taylor; Gudmundsson (Pieters 79), Brownhill, Cork, McNeil; Wood (Rodriguez 75), Barnes.

Substitutes: Hennessey, Norris, Collins, Bardsley, Thomas, Richardson, Dodgson.

Liverpool: Becker; Alexander-Arnold; Matip, van Dijk, Tsmikas (Gomez 90) Elliott, Henderson, Keita (Thiago 81); Salah, Jota (Firmino 81), Mane.

Substitutes: Adrian, Kelleher, Konate, Jones, Minamino, Robertson.