BURNLEY missed the chance of completing a league double over Liverpool as Jurgen Klopp’s side avenged a shock home defeat to boost their Champions League hopes.

It was back in January that Ashley Barnes scored the only goal of the game to stun the champions and end Liverpool’s 68-game unbeaten home run.

A total of 3,500 home fans were back at Turf Moor for the first time since March 2020 hoping to see the Clarets scupper Liverpool’s top four hopes.

But goals either side of half time from Roberto Firmino and Nat Phillips - his first for the club - and a late strike from Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain sealed victory for Liverpool who climb to fourth place, level on points with Leicester but with a superior goal difference.

Liverpool’s front three all wasted good opportunities to test Will Norris who was making his Premier League debut for the Clarets but generally Burnley did enough to put the visitors’ off their game.

Norris played as Nick Pope failed to recover from a knee injury - the 27-year-old’s only previous top-flight appearance was as an 89th-minute substitute for Wolves two years ago and he spent last season on loan at League One Ipswich.

He was one of two changes with Johann Berg Gudmundsson coming in for Matej Vydra.

While Liverpool looked a threat going forward they were shaky at the back and Chris Wood was getting the better of a nervy Phillips - although Alisson wasn’t really tested in the Liverpool goal.

But with half time approaching and after 11 attempts failed to hit the target the 12th, a low Roberto Firmino side-foot from Andy Robertson’s cut-back, finally beat Norris two minutes before half-time.

One goal was never going to be enough for Liverpool but their nerves were eased slightly when Phillips planted a header past Norris from Sadio Mane’s cross for his first goal for the club.

The goal naturally knocked the stuffing out of Burnley and their returning supporters but not for long.

And goal scorer Phillips turned goal preventer in the more natural habitat of his own six yard area, clearing a James Tarkowski header off the line following an excellent Dwight McNeil header.

Phillips then recovered well after getting himself in to a spot of trouble while challenging Wood, forcing the Kiwi striker wide before Robinson conceded a corner which Burnley could not make the most of.

The Clarets fans upped the volume as Burnley enjoyed a good spell of possession and substitute Matej Vydra and Matt Lowton combined down the flank but Lowton’s low cross was blocked by Phillips who was beginning to enjoy his football.

Charlie Taylor then whipped in a cross from the left but it was too far away from Wood in the area.

But hopes of a Clarets comeback were dashed when Oxlade-Chamberlain - an 81st minute replacement for goalscorer Firmino - made it 3-0 with two minutes remaining.

It was a fine finish from the Liverpool man who tricked his way past Taylor before thumping an effort beyond Norris in the Clarets goal.

While Burnley fans were no doubt delighted to be back at Turf Moor, it was not the return they would have wanted as Sean Dyche’s side slipped to an 18th defeat in a season that ends at Sheffield United on Sunday.