A season that many of a Rovers persuasion would be happy to see the back of already fell to its lowest point with defeat at bottom side Wycombe Wanderers.

Rovers didn’t heed the set play warning of the first half as an unmarked Fred Onyedinma headed home unmarked just two minutes after the re-start and extend Rovers’ run to one win in their last 13.

Unlucky for some, and if the pressure isn’t growing on Tony Mowbray internally by such a run, then the criticism from supporters certainly will.

They were passive for too long, again only acting after going behind, yet another re-run of so many matches this season. It felt as though they knew they didn’t need much to see off the division’s bottom side, but playing within themselves, they couldn’t muster that.

David Stockdale had just two saves to make across the 90 minutes, Rovers looking unrecognisable from the side that blew the Chairboys away in their opening home match, as they struggled to create a chance of note.

Gareth Ainsworth, Blackburn-born and boyhood Rover, had been effusive of his praise in the lead up to the game, and shared an embrace with his hero, Simon Garner, summarising for BBC radio, ahead of the game.

But his focus was firmly on his side as the game got under way, and he enjoyed what he saw, a shout of ‘make this pressure count, boys’ five minutes in an indication of how the game was going.

A series of set plays and long throws were causing Rovers into some early defensive work, Darragh Lenihan twice making good blocks. The first was to block a thumping drive from Anis Mehmeti, the second a result of a failed offside trap, Uche Ikpeazu able to control the ball eight yards out, his shot deflected over by the stretching Lenihan, all within the opening 10 minutes.

You were left wondering quite how Wycombe hadn’t taken the lead 20 minutes in, an inswinging corner from Joe Jacobson met by Admiral Muskwe, virtually on the goal-line ahead of Thomas Kaminski, the ball hitting his back and going over the top.

The opening half an hour had passed Rovers by as an attacking force, a tackle borne out of frustration saw Lewis Holtby booked, before the clock was stopped at 32 minutes for their first shot of the day. It came from the boot of Joe Rankin-Costello, a 25-yard effort well hit, and swerving away slightly from goalkeeper David Stockdale who required two attempts to save.

He was grateful to a poor finish though to keep his clean sheet intact five minutes before the break, as from Rovers’ first corner of the game, taken by Harvey Elliott, Tom Trybull watched it all the way through to him at the back post, but nodded over from six yards, his reaction showing what he thought of the chance.

Elliott and Trybull were two Rovers changes, with Sam Gallagher the other. He was given a chance from the start, and in his preferred central striking role, but it wasn’t the half he would have wanted in terms of service. Indeed, there was a real lack of care in possession across the pitch.

Dominic Gape had been taken off on a stretcher in the 15th minute, and Rovers were forced into a first half change of their own, Rankin-Costello unable to continue, an ankle injury sustained in a collision with the advertising boards seeing him unable to continue.

The opening 45 minutes offered little optimism and far from a ‘welcome back football’ after the international break.

They began the second half like the first, the difference here being that the hosts were able to take advantage. It was no surprise that a goal would come from a set play, Jacobson with the delivery, Onyedinma with the header, and two minutes into the second period, Rovers were behind.

Brereton snatched at his shot, pulled wide of the near post, after being well found by Rothwell, but there was little by way of immediate response.

It was once again a case of Rovers leaving it to going behind to show any signs of life, but once again left you wondering where, and how, a goal was going to come as their endless possession failed to produce.

John Buckley replaced Elliott, and led the line for the closing stages, Gallagher crossing the ball for Tyrhys Dolan to attack somewhat summing up their display.

Douglas cleared an Onyedinma shot off the line, and then escaped a penalty shout when colliding with Muskwe, Wycombe going closer to a second goal than Rovers had since the opener.

It was actually set a set play that offered Rovers their best hopes of an equaliser, but Johnson could only guide a Douglas delivery wide of the target. But the dancing feet of Rothwell was their best hope in the closing stages, skipping inside two challenges, before the outstretched arm of Stockdale denied him, and with it, inflicted more misery on Rovers.