EX-Claret Junior Stanislas helped knock his former club out of the FA Cup as his late penalty sealed a 2-0 fifth round win for Bournemouth at Turf Moor.

The 31-year-old, who played 93 times for Burnley, converted his spot kick two minutes from time after Sam Surridge’s first half tap-in had put the Cherries on the way to a place in the quarter finals for the first time since the 1956-57 campaign.

Jay Rodriguez spurned a gilt-edged chance to level in the second half, missing the target from six yards, on a bitterly cold night where Burnley almost blundered by initially putting Erik Pieters in their starting line-up before he was withdrawn after they were apparently notified of his suspension for this game.

Pieters’ withdrawal meant there were eight changes to the side that drew against Brighton in the Premier League, and they were outshone by a Bournemouth outfit who have now won both games under caretaker manager Jonathan Woodgate.

Only wingers Johann Berg Gudmundsson and Dwight McNeil and forward Matej Vydra kept their spots for Burnley, who announced shortly before kick-off an “administrative error” had led to Pieters being removed from the line-up.

It transpired Pieters was suspended for this fixture, having earned yellow cards in their wins over MK Dons and Fulham in the previous rounds, with Burnley seemingly made aware of the fact after the teams had been released.

The Dutch full-back’s place went to 21-year-old Anthony Driscoll-Glennon, who was caught out by Jack Stacey midway through the first half as Bournemouth, who made six changes to their line-up, went ahead.

Defences were on top early on but a swift attack down Burnley’s left-hand side led to David Brooks passing to the overlapping Stacey and his square ball left Surridge with a simple tap-in into an empty net.

Burnley’s appeals for offside were in vain while the hosts were fortunate not to fall further behind, with goalkeeper Bailey Peacock-Farrell making an excellent save after Dale Stephens unknowingly directed a header towards goal from a corner.

Philip Billing went down in the area under Kevin Long’s challenge but was told to get to his feet towards the end of a half where chances were at a premium, with Burnley unable to muster a shot on target in the first 45 minutes.

That was quickly remedied shortly after half-time as Vydra’s shot from a narrow angle forced Asmir Begovic to save at his near post, while the visiting goalkeeper pushed away McNeil’s 25-yard effort despite being unsighted.

Burnley should have levelled just before the hour when the adventurous Long’s cross was misdirected by Vydra into the path of Rodriguez, who blazed over with the goal at his mercy.

Phil Bardsley shot through a cluster of players and just wide of Begovic’s post as Burnley’s spell of pressure continued to go unrewarded on a night punctuated by gentle snowfall.

Bournemouth made the game safe two minutes from time when Long tripped the onrushing Surridge in the area, with Stanislas confidently dispatching the penalty.