GOALS from Dion Charles and Matt Butcher saw Accrington Stanley return to winning ways as they stunned league leaders Hull City at the Wham Stadium.

Just a week after suffering a 3-0 defeat at Hull, John Coleman’s men gained sweet revenge thanks to two second half goals.

Charles stroked home his eighth of the season early in the second half and Butcher rifled home from the edge of the area on 68 minutes.

It ended Hull’s five-game unbeaten league run – and also ended the Tigers record of having scored in the last 16 games on their travels as the Reds’ defence kept out the division's top scorers.

Ben Barclay and Tariq Uwakwe were the only changes for the suspended Cameron Burgess and injured Ross Sykes from the side beaten by Hull seven days ago.

It was Chelsea loan winger Uwakwe who had the first real chance on 10 minutes, his effort from an angle tipped around the post by George Long.

From the resulting corner, the ball bobbled around the area with Charles unlucky not to get a firm header in with Hull’s defence struggling to clear.

Hull’s first chance didn’t come until 20 minutes when ex-Red Mallik Wilks saw his effort blocked by Michael Nottingham.

Stanley were restricting the Tigers and looked dangerous - midfielder Butcher forcing Long into a save on 29 minutes.

Hull did have the ball in the net when Callum Elder’s ball was headed home by Josh Magennis on 33 minutes but the assistant had his flag up for off-side.

Nathan Baxter had to make his first real save on 35 minutes, pushing out Elder’s curling ball into the box.

Coleman’s men started the second half well, Uwakwe sweeping a ball into the box to Colby Bishop but the Reds striker couldn’t find the target.

But Stanley took the lead on 50 minutes when Bishop sent Uwakwe running clear and he threaded the ball through to Charles who stroked the ball past Long at his near post.

Hull hit back and Keane Lewis-Potter almost scored a solo goal in the 56th minute, running from his own half, evading a number of challenges but his final shot was pushed out by Baxter.

Stanley were hunting for the second goal and a Joe Pritchard ball in was cut out just before it landed nicely for Charles.

It was end-to-end stuff and Lewis-Potter found Wilks in the area but he could only balloon the ball well over the Stanley bar.

The Reds grabbed a decisive second goal when Pritchard found Butcher on the edge of the area and he fired a superb low shot into the bottom corner of the net with 22 minutes remaining.

Chelsea loanee Uwakwe came close to a third but forced a strong save out of Long on 78 minutes while a Sean McConville shot took a deflection and hit the top of the crossbar. It was all Stanley and, from the resulting corner, Nottingham headed the ball into the danger area and Charles was denied a second when his effort was blocked on the goalline.

Elder belted the ball well over as Hull looked to get back in it near the end but it was the Reds who were celebrating a strong win and an important clean sheet as they bounced back from successive defeats to Gillingham and Hull.