ASHLEY Barnes’ 100th career goal saw Burnley stun Liverpool and end the defending champions’ near four-year unbeaten home Premier League record.

The Clarets’ striker converted from the spot seven minutes from time to seal a famous victory for the visitors, their first at Anfield since September 1974.

Ian Brennan was the scorer that night but this time it was all about Barnes.

“What a shift from the lads,” he told Sky Sports post-match. “It was a great team performance and luckily we’ve come away with three points.

“We believe in every game, that was no different today, we knew it was going to be tough but we were resilient, we stayed to our shape and it paid off.

“We knew if we keep believing we will get something. We were growing into the game. We managed to stick to our jobs, slow everything down, and it worked.”

Last season Sean Dyche’s side were the only side to take a point off Liverpool at home as they raced to the title, and they finished this game with the same amount of possession – 29 per cent – but crucially went one better.

They employed similar tactics of defending resolutely, competing physically and taking the opportunity when it arose.

A fifth win of the season lifted Burnley to 19 points, but the confidence of the result will be just as important.

Divock Origi, with one league goal since December 2019, missed the chance of the night for the hosts just before half-time

An uncharacteristic mis-kick from Clarets captain Ben Mee put Origi clean through, and he blasted a shot past Nick Pope but against the crossbar when what was required was placement and a calmness under pressure.

Pope arrived at Anfield with five clean sheets in his last 10 league games, which did not bode well for Jurgen Klopp’s goal-shy side, but he was not properly tested in the opening 45 minutes.

Sadio Mane had an early header blocked by Dwight McNeil, but there followed a succession of shots from Xherdan Shaqiri, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Origi and Andy Robertson which the England international dealt with comfortably.

Frustrations boiled over at the half-time whistle as Barnes reacted angrily to Fabinho appearing to flick out at him, provoking a small melee, but referee Mike Dean showed the Brazilian a yellow card and VAR agreed.

Meanwhile Klopp and Dyche, who were both halfway down the tunnel, had their own heated exchange

Burnley’s one real opportunity came when Alisson dropped a cross under pressure from Chris Wood, but he reacted well to block Barnes’ shot.

Just over 10 minutes into the second half and with the game drifting, Klopp sent on Salah and Roberto Firmino, with the former straight into the action by forcing Pope into his first decent save low at his near post.

Burnley substitute Johann Berg Gudmundsson blazed wide from close range, but it was not as bad as the Firmino effort which was so off-target compatriot Alisson, 80 yards away, dropped to his knees, held his head and let out a yell.

There were more shouts of frustration when Alexander-Arnold’s cross hit Erik Pieters’ arm in the penalty area.

Having spent most of the preceding 83 minutes on the back foot, Burnley were presented with a chance of producing a shock at Anfield and they seized it.

Alisson brought down Barnes and the Clarets forward stepped up to score.

And there was to be no lucky escape for the hosts as Firmino’s close-range shot was deflected wide by Mee, who knew little about his intervention.