BURNLEY FC Women had to settle for a share of the spoils following an end-to-end clash in their 1-1 draw with Stoke City.

The visitors dominated most of the first half and, thanks to some last-ditch defending and good goalkeeping, it looked as if the Clarets would get to the break unscathed.

But on the stroke of half-time, the league’s top scorer Lizzy Steele, broke the deadlock to give Stoke the lead.

However five minutes after the restart Nicola Shirtcliffe levelled matters it what proved to be a frantic half where both sides had their chances to win it.

Burnley were on the backfoot for most of the opening period but keeper Lauren Bracewell produced a series of fine saves while the Clarets' defence managed to scramble the ball away with Cara Bickett producing one fine goalline clearance.

The Clarets slowly got a foothold in the game and nearly went ahead when a Stoke defender almost put through her own goal before Chloe Mapp had a chance to open her scoring account but dragged a shot wide.

But just when it looked like it would be a goalless first half, the dangerous Steele cut inside the Clarets defence and shot past Bracewell.

The Clarets, with the advantage of the Padiham slope in the second period, responded quickly when a cross from defender Shirtcliffe looped over the leaping goalkeeper Kosinska and dipped under the crossbar.

Another chance on goal was thwarted by a wall of Stoke defenders when a corner kick fell free in the goal mouth and the Clarets tried to force a shot through.

An injury to the Stoke goalkeeper Kosinska led to substitution following treatment, after a one on one challenge with Katie Thomas.

Katie Thomas had a great chance but struck the side netting and later was shouldered off the ball by a strong defender as she tried to cut through on goal.

A late Clarets chance to take the lead from a free-kick was hit just too high.

In an action-packed added time, Bracewell was forced to tip over before after another free-kick and from the resulting corner, the keeper saved from close range.

Thomas had a final chance when she rushed through on goal but could not get a shot off and both sides had to settle for the draw.

On Sunday, Burnley FC Women travel away to face Derby County Women at Mickleover Sports Club.