BURNLEY picked up their first point of the season in a gritty stalemate at West Brom.

The pair had shipped a combined 21 goals in their opening seven games but the 47th match of the Premier League campaign brought the first goalless draw of the season as it ended 0-0 at The Hawthorns.

The Clarets getting off the mark after three opening defeats was enough to lift them off the foot of the table, with Chris Wood’s header which came back of the crossbar the closest Sean Dyche’s side came to turning one point into three.

Burnley were without Phil Bardsley due to a positive Covid-19 test with Erik Pieters filling in at right back and Johann Berg Gudmundsson in the starting line-up.

With the Baggies also winless, a lack of conviction from both teams was no surprise, although the hosts showed more early urgency.

Filip Krovinovic’s shot skidded wide in the opening three minutes while Karlan Grant, a new £15million signing from Huddersfield, fired off target.

Albion bossed possession without seriously breaking through a robust Burnley backline.

But despite Albion’s territorial dominance, it was the Clarets who created the best chance of a forgettable first half after 26 minutes.

Kevin Long wanted a penalty after Darnell Furlong’s challenge but when the ball was returned into the box Ashley Barnes’ fierce angled drive was beaten away by Sam Johnstone.

Those who had paid the controversial £14.95 to watch on TV may have had buyers’ remorse during the first half but Albion fans had cause, at least briefly, to jump off the sofa nine minutes before the break.

Grant had been quiet but at least showed his threat when Grady Diangana picked him out to head in, only for his celebrations to be cut short by an offside flag.

Boss Slaven Bilic had called for the Baggies to be more aggressive after a limp 2-0 loss at Southampton and they remained more proactive after the break.

Albion continued to find promising position after the break only to be let down by their final ball but, with Burnley on the back foot, found plenty of encouragement.

And it was only dogged defending which denied them an opener after 57 minutes when Diangana’s exquisite turn opened up space.

Nick Pope saved well to spark a scramble as Branislav Ivanovic’s shot was blocked and Matheus Pereira’s effort was parried by Pope before the danger cleared.

It was a rare flashpoint with the escape forcing the Clarets into life and they should have opened the scoring five minutes later.

Ashley Westwood’s perfect cross found Wood unmarked at the far post but the striker headed against the top of the bar.

The Baggies had become ragged and Johnstone came to their rescue next when he parried Barnes’ header.

Burnley’s second-half improvement warranted a point yet they still needed Pope to turn Pereira’s shot behind with 13 minutes left to secure a result.