Accrington boss John Coleman was glad to finally get rid of the Rochdale hoodoo as his side celebrated a 2-1 win over Dale.

It is 60 years since Stanley last beat Rochdale at home and the Reds have lost the last six league games against the Spotland side.

Jimmy Keohane put Rochdale ahead after 54 minutes before Joe Pritchard equalised 10 minutes later with a cross which sneaked in at the far post.

Pritchard turned provider two minutes later, playing in a ball which Chelsea loanee midfielder Jon Russell side-footed home on his debut to put the Reds up to sixth place in the league.

“I am pleased for all the septuagenarians who have never seen us win at home against Rochdale!” said Coleman.

“I want to thank them for sticking with us and dedicate that win to them.

“Before the game I probably did go overboard saying the players could make history.

“You can get blind-sided by the hoodoo and bogey team but any win is important.

“I was delighted with the work-rate and the passion we showed.

“The wind made it difficult but both teams tried to pass it, created good chances but we needed that bit of luck and we got it.

“It was a lapse of concentration to go behind but we have young players and they will learn lessons from that.

“I was proud of the way we came back and they were two good goals.

“We have a cracking set of lads here who want to work for each other and are all pulling in the right direction.

"When you have got that, you have got something special.”

Stanley dominated the first half, with their former keeper Jay Lynch pulling off a superb save to tip over a Colby Bishop 20-yard strike after seven minutes.

Dale’s first shot on target didn’t come until the half-hour mark when Ollie Rathbone’s strike stung the hands of Toby Savin.

Rochdale were more of a threat after the break and after 54 minutes Alex Newby’s cross to the far post found Keohane, who fired home.

Stanley equalised after 64 minutes when Pritchard got the ball on the right and played in a cross which found its way in beyond Lynch.

The game was soon turned on its head when within two minutes, Pritchard sent in another cross, this time from the left, and Russell did the rest.