For Luton, this meant everything, and while Rovers made them work for the win, and their Championship survival, Tony Mowbray will have plenty to reflect on as his side head in to the summer.

They did improve on last season’s tally of 60 points, but not to the level that many would deem enough, and there are plenty of areas to address in the summer, not least in defence having now conceded 23 goals in their last 11 games.

Their options in attack are plentiful, but the right balance to them is yet to be found, and indeed you’d be hard pressed for many Rovers to settle on what they would call as either Tony Mowbray’s preferred XI, or indeed, the best.

They let a lead slip through their fingers again, and conceding three goals from just one Luton shot on target somewhat summed up their efforts at the back.

Adam Armstrong had them ahead with his 17th of the season, with Sam Gallagher reducing the arrears in the final quarter after two quite incredible own goals, from Hayden Carter and Bradley Johnson, followed by a James Collins penalty, proved enough for the hosts who hung on for their Championship lives late on.

A second successive bright start saw Rovers lead inside 10 minutes, that man Adam Armstrong, named player of the season earlier in the day, put them infront. It wasn’t his customary long-ranger however, this one from much nearer in as he bundled the ball in from close range as Luton failed to clear a corner.

However it was their own set play deficiencies that would cost them in the first half, with Luton taking a half-time lead despite not having a shot on target.

First a James Bree free kick was flicked on by a Luton head, on to that of Hayden Carter who was unfortunate to see the ball skim off his head and in to the corner, via some spin that wrong-footed Christian Walton.

The second was just as unfortunate, this time Bradley Johnson putting in to his own goal as Sonny Bradley’s flicked header came off the Rovers midfielder and in to the corner.

That was a second goal in the space of seven minutes for Luton who finished the half as the stronger side, despite their lack of goal attempts.

Rovers had bossed things before the drinks break, Armstrong’s goal coming moments after Johnson drew a flying save out of Simon Sluga.

Both he and Holtby failed to test the ‘keeper from distance, despite having space from which to shoot, but they were looking much the brighter and playing the better football.

But the game became more of a leveller when it became scrappy, and crosses in to the box were the way they were going, with two flying in from the right wing seeing Harry Cornick land a flicked header on to the roof of the net, and James Collins glancing wide of the target.

Rovers had lost their rhythm and were the more grateful for the break where they made a double change sending on John Buckley and Jacob Davenport.

Rovers were facing something of an orange wall as they tried to get in to their passing stride, but getting little change out of the Luton backline.

It was becoming something similar to the defeat away at Millwall where Rovers were having plenty of the ball, but struggling to test the goalkeeper, Joe Rothwell guilty in the 55th minute of wasting a decent shooting opportunity as he blazed over.

But the pattern of Rovers being too easy to score against continued, handed a penalty on the hour as substitute Davenport tangled with the impressive Harry Cornick. That allowed James Collins the perfect opportunity to double the advantage. He didn’t need a second invitation, hammering his spot-kick down the middle.

That buoyed the hsots even more, and they would have had a fourth were it not for a fine Lenihan defensive clearance.

A 23rd goal conceded in their last 11 games was a hammer blow for Rovers, whose attacking play in the second half was summed up by a tame Rothwell free kick.

For all their possession, it was via a long diagonal ball forward, and a Danny Graham knockdown that they got back in to the game. He headed down in to the path of strike partner Sam Gallagher whose instinctive flicked finish found the top corner.

And within seconds they were almost level, a John Buckley shot deflecting off a Luton man and within inches of finding the bottom corner.

Rovers had abandoned any of their possession, preferring to go from back to front at the earliest opportunity, with the flow of the game interrupted by some blatant time-wasting.

Scenes of celebration greeted for the final whistle for the hosts, as Rovers slumped  to a defeat to end their campaign which had offered so much promise.