Rovers’ miserable run at the DW Stadium continued as they shipped two late goals to fall to defeat to Wigan Athletic.

Lee Evans smashed home the opening goal of the game after Christian Walton spilled a left wing Antonee Robinson cross with just 10 minutes to go.

As Rovers tried in vain to force an equaliser, they were caught with too many bodies upfield, Michael Jacobs broke away before firing a low shot out of the reach of the Rovers ‘keeper.

The defeat saw Rovers fall to ninth in the table, four points outside the top six, after a game in which they did little to threaten David Marshall in the Wigan goal.

The introduction of Adam Armstrong midway through the second half offered signs of life, with Stewart Downing drawing a save out of the ‘keeper with a free-kick at the end of the first half.

But the nature of the first goal conceded was of real frustration to Mowbray as their bid for a play-off spot took a hit against the Latics.

Rovers were hit by two injury blows which forced them in to two changes as Corry Evans and Joe Rankin-Costello dropped out, with Ryan Nyambe returning, and Joe Rothwell recalled.

That meant a switch to left back for captain Elliott Bennett who caught in possession in the ninth minute which saw Wigan go close. He was robbed off the ball which allowed Kieffer Moore a strike at goal from 20 yards which flashed just wide of the far post.

It was down that side that Wigan were experiencing plenty of joy in what were ever-changing conditions at the DW Stadium. A right-wing corner was met by the well-timed run of Cedric Kipre but he couldn’t guide his header on target.

They were two let-offs for Rovers inside the opening 12 quarters, and but for some neat interplay and use of Nyambe down the right, they were struggling to find the target with their final ball as David Marshall went untroubled.

The drinks break gave them chance to collect their thoughts, with much of the discussions focused on trying to stop Wigan’s full backs from enjoying so much joy.

Rovers did improve though, Lewis Holtby seeing penalty appeals waved away after going down under the challenge of Sam Morsy before Joe Rothwell went close with a free kick just before the half hour.  Won by Ben Brereton, he curled a shot up and over the wall, but on to the roof of the net.

It was a better spell for Rovers who were moving the ball with more purpose, another Nyambe break forward ending with Holtby having a shot blocked.

Wigan were largely untroubled though and were enjoying the clearer chances. A mix-up down the Rovers right allowed Jamal Lowe to break forward but bearing down on goal a combination of indecisive finishing, and scrambled defence, saw the chance gone.

Rovers did manage a shot on target before the break, through the trusty left boot of Stewart Downing. It came after Holtby was again fouled, curling a low effort around the wall but well parried by Marshall.

Both sides emerged from the break unchanged, but Rovers were looking to try and play with a greater purpose. They had a decent opening just two minutes after the re-start, Downing’s deep cross  finding Sam Gallagher whose rose highest, but couldn’t keep his header on target.

But back came Wigan, twice going close to breaking the deadlock. The first came from Sam Morsy, thundering a 25-yarder narrowly wide  as Walton was at full stretch.

The next effort also didn’t force a save out of Walton, but that was down to poor finishing. Moore and Lowe linked up to tee up Anthony Pilkington who got his shot all wrong from 18 yards in a bit let-off again for Rovers.

There were long spells of possession for Rovers, mostly coming inside their attacking third, but lacking penetration, it was a mistake from Wigan that gave Lewis Travis an opening, but he couldn’t get the necessary contact on to his shot.

Rovers were waiting to make their three substitutions  as Downing stood over a free kick, this time bending it narrowly wide of the far post.

Mowbray did then make his changes as Dominic Samuel and Adam Armstrong replaced Holtby and Gallagher, while Bradley Johnson came on for Travis who had received treatment moments before.

That allowed Brereton to play as the central striker.

The two attacking subs almost paid off, Armstrong flying down the left from where he crossed and the sliding Samuel was inches away from turning home.

Armstrong almost had one himself in the 70th minute, a fine switch from Downing found Nyambe whose cross drifted over goalkeeper Marshall, but the attacker couldn’t quite get his header on target.

A  Wigan sub, Michael Jacobs, had an even better opening at the other end in the 76th minute. Again the move started down the Wigan right and ended up with Jacobs cutting from the left but Walton showed good handling from his effort.

No sooner had Rovers made their fourth substitution however, they fall behind. It was a poor passage of play from the moment Walton took a short goal kick to Adarabioyo who had few options. Wigan won the ball from his clearance and eventually worked the ball to the left where Robinson hung up a cross, spilled by Walton under pressure, allowing Lee Evans to fire the loose ball home via the crossbar.

Mowbray was furious with his goalkeeper for the initial goal kick after conceding a goal which was thoroughly avoidable.

They almost hit back with their first attack however, a cross to the far post met by Samuel whose header was tipped over by Samuel.

But Wigan managed the late stages well, with Rovers caught up field Jacobs broke clear and sealed the game with a fine low finish.

Wigan: Marshall, Morsy, Kipre, Fox, Williams, Pilkington (Evans, 56), Lowe, Dowell (Jacobs, 73), Moore (Garner, 90), Byrne, Robinson

Subs: Jones, Balogun, Naismith, Pearce, Mlakar, Geldhardt

Rovers: Walton, Nyambe, Lenihan, Adarabioyo, Bennett, Travis (Johnson, 64), Downing, Rothwell (Davenport, 84), Gallagher (Samuel, 64), Holtby (Armstrong, 64), Brereton (Graham, 79)

Subs: Leutwiler, Smallwood, Mulgrew, Carter