Rovers started the final day in 2011 as a starring character in the five-way relegation battle – but by half-time had written themselves out of the plot altogether.

Indeed, the second half of the Molineux decider on this day nine years ago saw them as a subsidiary to the drama that was ensuing around them.

During the course of a final day that ebbed and flowed, four of the five teams in danger dropped in to the relegation zone at some point or another.

Rovers were the exception, staying up in style in front of their watching owners, courtesy of a fine first-half performance that eased any possible nerves, racing in to a 3-0 lead.

The 2,700 travelling supporters, whose tickets for the match were subsidised by the club, saw their nerves turn to jubilation as they ended what threatened to be a disastrous season with just a third win in four months to stay up.

There were 81 scenarios that could have unfolded on the final day, but Rovers had the simplest of the equations, knowing a win would ensure their Premier League status for another year, and even in defeat, they could still stay up.

Any tension on the final day shoot-out was erased by half time in the Molineux sunshine.

Lancashire Telegraph:

The first goal, midway through the first half, saw Jason Roberts turn home a Michel Salgado shot, before Brett Emerton thumped home a stunning 20-yard drive seven minutes before the break.

‘We are staying up’, the Rovers fans sang as they felt ever more certain about survival.

And their top-flight status was all but secured on the stroke of half-time when Junior Hoilett danced his way through the Wolves defence to slam home a third. Not even Rovers could throw this one away.

While party time in the away section, a Blackpool goal at Manchester United had plunged Wolves into the bottom three alongside Wigan.

Anger from the home stands greeted the half-time whistle, Wolves knowing they needed two goals should results not change elsewhere.

The first real cheer of the day from the home fans came as Birmingham fell behind at Tottenham to drop to 19th, Wolves now out of the bottom three on goal difference.

Rovers had no such worries, and went in search of a fourth, with  Roberts denied by an excellent Wayne Hennessey save.

Goals at Old Trafford offered hope to the hosts who pulled one back of their own through Jamie O’Hara, 17 minutes from time, from a well-worked free kick.

Rovers fans were watching on with interest, rather than worry by this point, but Wolves’ emotions were shredded as they yo-yoed in and out of the dropzone.

As the closing stages drew near, the hosts needed a goal to ensure survival, one which came from Stephen Hunt, moving Wolves out of the drop zone on goals scored.

A late Spurs goal at Birmingham made sure of their survival, and by the final whistle it was both teams celebrating survival, the Molineux pitch a sea of gold.

For Rovers, the job had been done in the first half, and in doing so, answered some of their critics, according to striker Roberts.

He said: “After this season we will be looking onwards and upwards. We have had a lot of stick that we haven’t deserved but who listens to these people?

“We certainly don’t. These people are paid to talk and they can keep talking. People were tipping us to go down and I can’t understand the rationale behind it.

“These are positive owners and the criticism they have got has been unjustified.”

Lancashire Telegraph:

Wolves boss Mick McCarthy, meanwhile, said he was “shattered physically and emotionally” after the rollercoaster afternoon.

He said: “We were up and then we were down.

“I was getting messages every couple of minutes on bits of paper. Some had swear words on, others said happy days.

“I went through the wringer. I feel like I should be dancing with my drawers on my head.”