"You'll never score for England," chanted the Tottenham fans, with Alan Shearer having gone 12 international games without a goal heading in to Euro ’96.

But Shearer produced the perfect answer with a sublime hat-trick to clinch a dramatic but deserved victory for Rovers 24 years ago today at White Hart Lane, his injury-time winner taking him to 28 for the season.

It was another capital gain for Ray Harford’s side, who despite a meagre return of points on the road, Rovers were unbeaten in London, with victories at QPR and Spurs as well as a point apiece at Arsenal, West Ham and Wimbledon.

Here’s the Lancashire Telegraph report from the game…

Manager Harford, despite his long list of absentees, had a game plan that worked a treat for most of the match and, ultimately, produced the win Rovers' overall performance deserved.

He made two changes in personnel from the side which started against Leeds in midweek, Graham Fenton keeping his place at the expense of Matty Holmes and Mike Newell returning to partner Shearer.

That also meant a switch to the left flank for Kevin Gallacher and it signalled Rovers' attacking intentions, with four forwards on the field.

The way they went at Spurs from the start, continuing the positive attitude and conviction they had shown at Maine Road two weeks earlier, underlined a growing feeling of confidence.

And the two central midfield men did a splendid job to anchor it all together, particularly Nicky Marker who had an excellent game alongside the busy Billy McKinlay.

Yet, even though Rovers led 2-0 at the interval and could easily have had more goals as they gave the Spurs central defenders a rare chasing, the quality of the home team's two strikers ensured the game was in the balance right to the very end.

In the final reckoning, the bottom line was the class of two men at opposite ends of the field.

Shearer's stunning finishing power needs no elaboration but Rovers also owed a debt to Tim Flowers, who pulled off three breath-taking saves.

For Spurs still conjured up a few half-decent chances even though they were second best for long periods.

The first half saw Spurs in almost complete disarray especially after Calderwood fouled Shearer, put through by Mike Newell. The striker picked himself up to hit the penalty past Ian Walker's right hand.

Nethercott looked as if he didn't know what day it was, while Cundy's response to his own ragged contribution was a despicable second half foul on Newell.

Gallacher and Hendry had great chances to increase Rovers' lead before Shearer did. Taking another clever flick from Newell, he raced past Nethercott like the winner of the Cheltenham Gold Cup before hammering a low right-foot shot past the helpless Walker.

It could have been worse for Spurs when Cundy's back pass bobbled under Walker's foot and the keeper only just got back to his line in time to hack it clear. Just before half time, Sheringham's ability to find space in the box set up a chance for Fox and the door seemed to open for Spurs. But Flowers immediately slammed it shut with a stunning top left-hand corner save from a scorching volley.

The first 15 minutes of the second half followed what now seemed a familiar pattern.

Rovers were in charge, a third goal looked imminent and Spurs were being booed by their own fans!

When managers say goals change games, they mean what happened next.

Everyone was drawn to the near post by Fox's corner and Sheringham - again - ghosted into a bit of space to rifle it home.

Suddenly inspired, Spurs piled forward and Flowers made great saves from Chris Armstrong and David Howells. But they weren't to be denied.

A ball into the centre of the penalty area, Armstrong took it on his chest and gave Flowers no chance with a thumping right-footer, superbly-taken.

There was, however, one last twist as Sutton played an instinctive first-time ball through the middle and his instincts were spot on.

Shearer raced through the gap, steadied himself as the ball bounced before putting another piledriver into Walker's net.

The Rovers fans went into a frenzy of excitement.

It was all too much for the man on the White Hart Lane tannoy who sarcastically announced the goal time as 92 minutes 30 seconds. Touchy or what!

Rovers: Flowers, Coleman, Berg, Hendry, Kenna, Marker, McKinlay, Fenton (Sutton, 86), Gallacher, Shearer, Shearer, Newell

Subs: Holmes, Gudmundsson