ACCRINGTON Stanley’s fine run of form continued as they made it two wins in three days with a 2-0 victory over Burton Albion at the Wham Stadium.

The Reds took the lead through Sean McConville in the first half and then Ross Sykes doubled their lead in the second period as they made it seven games without defeat in all competitions heading into 2020.

John Coleman’s side now sit seven points off of the League One play-off places with Rochdale to come on New Year’s Day.

Stanley were almost the architects of their own downfall in the first few minutes as Ben Barclay was caught on the edge of his own box with the ball, but luckily for him, Mark Hughes was on hand to clear the danger for the home side.

Keeping his place in the team, Offrande Zanzala then showed a glimpse of what he can offer as he powerfully drove at the Burton backline, but was unfortunate as he tried to slip in Dion Charles.

The first real chance fell to Zanzala inside the opening 10 minutes after some lovely interplay in the midfield. The striker picked up the loose ball but drove his effort wide from a tight angle.

Stanley’s number nine continued to cause problems for the Burton defence as they struggled to get to grips with his pace.

Returning to the side, McConville also lined up a free-kick that threatened, but was always curling wide.

At the other end Joe Bursik was called into action for the first time after 20 minutes as he produced a brilliant save with his legs from a Lucas Akins shot.

Stanley were soon under pressure again with Burton’s Ryan Edwards sent through on goal after a mistake from Hughes, but he tried to flick the ball on instead of taking the shot himself when he had more time than he thought.

Colin Daniel then found himself in acres of space in the box, but the left-back looked like a rabbit in the headlights and made a mess of the opportunity for the visitors.

It was the Reds who would crucially get their noses in front, McConville celebrating his return to the starting line-up with the opening goal five minutes before half-time.

The ball dropped nicely to him in the box and he slotted calmly beyond Manchester United loanee Kieran O’Hara in the Burton goal.

Burton boss Nigel Clough responded by making all three changes at the break in a bid to alter the way the game was going.

But it looked as though Stanley had gone a long way to getting their hands on the three points when Zanzala seemingly put them two goals up at the start of the second half only to see his effort ruled out for offside.

The second period continued much in the way of how the first finished – with both sides pushing forward and causing problems.

A great effort from Liam Boyce had Bursik well beaten, but luckily for Stanley, it just glanced off the crossbar.

Stanley crucially doubled their lead halfway through the second period as Sykes rose highest from McConville’s free kick to head in at the back post.

The game was then all but up and it was the hosts who looked likely to extend their lead if there was to be another goal.

Jordan Clark headed a McConville centre wide before late in the piece Zanzala was denied what would have been a deserved goal by a fine O'Hara save.