RIMINGTON produced a fantastic comeback after beating Barrowford Celtic 6-5 having trailed 5-0 at the break.

The East Lancashire League Division One leaders looked certain to slip to just their second defeat of the season as their hosts tore them apart in the first half.

But some stern words from manager David Cook during a heated half time team talk did the trick as Rimmy roared back to seal a dramatic and unlikeliest of victories after man of the match Joel Phelps netted an injury time winner.

“I’m absolutely delighted and proud with the way my players responded after a highly charged half time team talk,” said Cook.

“My players came out in the second half with more desire and put them under pressure.

“We kept grinding them down and overloading midfield and the goals came.”

“The downside was the manner of the goals we conceded which left me extremely disappointed but it’s never an easy place to come and get a result.”

The leaders were a goal down inside five minutes as Celtic, with the blowing gale behind, took advantage of the extreme conditions.

A second goal arrived in the 13th minute when Rimmy keeper Graeme Kershaw was beaten by a shot from a tight angle.

Three more goals in the final 15 minutes of the first half all but wrapped up victory for Celtic - but Rimington had other ideas.

Fired up by Cook’s half time words - where he demanded more pride and passion - the visitors pulled a goal back with a minute of the restart when Alex Wood’s cross found Matt Bagot who used his strength to brush off his marker to head home.

Five minutes later James Tootle scored Rimmy’s second, slamming the ball home after good work from Thomas Fowler and Wood.

And on the hour mark, things got interesting as Phelps scored his first of the game, turning home an Oliver Devenney cross from close range.

And it was game on just four minutes later when Rimington made it 5-4 when substitute Louis James raced on to a fine ball from Bagot.

Celtic kept Rimington at bay for the next 20 minutes but incredibly it was all square with nine minutes left when Tootle fired home an equaliser.

And the incredible turnaround was complete when, in the final minute, Tootle slid the ball through to Phelps who rounded the keeper to score.