If Saturday's below-par showing in the win over Barnsley was simply about the result, well Rovers managed three points and a performance to match against Brentford.

A goal worthy of winning game, as Bradley Dack netted his ninth of the campaign, told just half the story in what was a thoroughly entertaining affair in which neither side took a backward step.

But Rovers grafted to the end, putting in their most complete display of the campaign and took a step towards the top half of the Championship.

Tony Mowbray was decisive with his team selection, making four alterations, including leaving out captain Elliott Bennett for the first time this season.

Rovers were finding space in behind from almost the first minute, with Danny Graham proving a more than useful target. He was first to have an effort on goal, taking on the responsibility as Adam Armstrong’s touch from a Lewis Travis pass ran loose. However, the striker somewhat scuffed his shot, with Bradley Dack unable to turn in at the far post.

Eight players would touch the ball though en route to the opening goal which arrived in the 11th minute. Corry Evans snapped in to a tackle and started it off just inside the Rovers half. Armstrong and Rothwell combined before Stewart Downing, operating from an unfamiliar left back position, put his cross on a plate for Dack who swept home first time.

There was all-round appreciation for the quality of the goal which lifted spirits.

While Evans was industrious in the middle of the park, the invention and quality of Rothwell’s play was a particular positive from a positive opening.

With five wins in six prior to arriving in east Lancashire, Brentford weren’t simply going to lie down. In 11-goal Ollie Watkins they had a man in fine goalscoring form. His first sight of goal came in the 18th minute, escaping the attentions initially of Tosin Adarabioyo, and getting a shot away from a tight angle as the defender made up ground retreating, which Christian Walton held.

The way Rovers were able to move up the field was encouraging, another sweeping break saw Ryan Nyambe try and pick out Graham in the middle, with David Raya, on his return to Ewood Park, intercepting.

Dack had one, and would have been a decent bet for a second, were Ethan Pinnock’s perfectly timed last-ditch tackle taking the ball away as he was about to pull the trigger.

While Rovers were pushing Brentford back with their pressing, the quality of Brentford’s midfield meant they were never without a threat. Their best opening of the half came in the 31st minute, with Jan Zamburek running untracked in to the box, but volleying wide from a Mathias Jensen pass.

Rovers ended the half ruing a missed opportunity, however. A dazzling Rothwell run was ended unceremoniously on the edge of the box, with Downing’s flighted delivery met by Graham, but headed over.

It would need a 90 minute performance though, with the job far from done, despite an encouraging first half display.  And the opening stages of the second half demonstrated just that.

Said Benrahma won the free kick from which he was denied by the crossbar from 20 yards, while Evans was well placed to clear off the line as Pontus Jansson powered a header goalwards from a right-wing corner.

The home crowd were fully behind their side, and were almost rewarded with a second goal. Graham switched the play with a superb cross field ball, with Armstrong having nothing else in mind than getting a shot away with Raya saved at full stretch.

The second half had a particularly open feel, with Benrahma spooning a shot wide from the edge of the box moments, while Rothwell showed great determination to first win the ball back, before a 50-yard break ended with a shot that cannoned in to Ethan Pinnock.

Both sides were serving up an excellent encounter, neither taking a step back, and showing no shortage of quality.

Christian Norgaard whipped a curling effort inches wide as Rovers started to show signs of tired legs.

But back they came with two excellent chances to put the game out of reach. The first saw Rothwell shoot tamely at Raya from 12 yards, when free on the left, with Armstrong drawing a stunning save out of the former Rovers’ stopper with a left foot shot.

The pendulum swung Brentford’s way, as sub Bryan Mbuemo curled narrowly wide at the other end. While Raya was in good form at the other end, Walton came up with a smart save of his own, denying a thumping Mads Roerslev effort from point-blank range.

Rovers negotiated their way through four added minutes to make it a hat-trick of home wins in November.