A first goal in Rovers colours for Lewis Holtby wasn’t enough to inspire his side to a home win as they were pegged back in the second half by Huddersfield Town.

Juninho Bacuna came off the bench to equalise for his side midway through the second half after goals from Holtby and Bradley Dack had given Rovers a half-time lead.

They had trailed in the 12th minute to a controversial Karlan Grant penalty, slotting home after Elliott Bennett was adjudged to have fouled Adama Diakhaby.

But while Rovers were good value for their half-time lead, they struggled to stamp their authority on the second half as both sides were made to settle for a point.

Rovers made five changes, two of which were enforced, with Darragh Lenihan and Greg Cunningham out injured. Amari’i Bell joined the absentee list with a knee injury, with Ryan Nyambe Tosin Adarabioyo, Lewis Travis and Bradley Johnson recalled, while Holtby was handed a first start.

The visitors were unchanged after recording back-to-back victories before the break and started the brighter.

Trevoh Chalobah brushed off Johnson but chose the wrong option when attempting a shot which was blocked by Derrick Williams, with runners either side of him.

Adama Diakhaby had already troubled Elliott Bennett, moved to left back to cover Cunningham’s absence, and would win a penalty when the Rovers captain was adjudged to have bundled the winger to the floor.

While the challenge, made while Bennett was on the floor, looked clumsy, Darren Bond pointed to the spot, with Karlan Grant sending Christian Walton the wrong way to hand the Terriers a 12th minute lead.

With a feeling of injustice, Rovers tried to respond as a driving Travis run ended with an Adam Armstrong shot on the turn which Kamil Grabara gathered at the second attempt.

They did find an equaliser in the 20th minute though, catching Huddersfield out when trying to play out from the back before Dack unselfishly squared for unmarked Holtby to tap home.

That gave the home fans, and players, a lift, with Ryan Nyambe pouring forward down the right as Rovers were moving the ball around well.

Holtby, and Rovers, should have had a second after the half hour, only to drag his shot just wide of the target when played clean through by Johnson.

Again, Rovers didn’t have to wait  long to pass up one opportunity but find the back of the net.

Holtby was in the thick of the action again, this time teeing up Dack who wrapped his foot expertly around a shot from the edge of the box that had just enough bend to find the bottom corner.

There was no shortage of interplay from Rovers who were beginning to get on top as the half-time whistle approached.

Travis ran on to a Downing pass, but dragged his shot wide from the edge of the box.

Both sides emerged from the second half, with Rovers starting the brighter as they went in search of a third goal.

They would have had it were Dack able to get even the slightest touch to an Armstrong shot that fizzed across the box in the 55th minute.

Only seconds later, full back Jaden Brown’s heart was in his mouth as he headed a Downing cross towards his own goal, having just enough height to go over the bar.

The visitors made their first change, introducing Junior Bacuna, and he was quickly in to the action, dragging a shot wide of the target from 25 yards.

But he had the effect Huddersfield would have wanted as he levelled the game up in the 63rd minute.

Rovers passed up several chances to clear, before the midfielder was allowed to bundle his way in to the box and his left foot shot, while lacking power, was able to get beyond Walton.

Huddersfield became the team in the ascendancy, helped by some sloppy Rovers play, as they struggled to make the ball stick up front.

And they would have had a great chance to lead were it not for a fine recovery tackle from Williams on Grant when clean through after Johnson’s misplaced pass had the hosts in trouble.

Mowbray turned to his bench with 20 minutes to go as goalscorer Holtby, and Travis, were replaced by Joe Rothwell and Sam Gallagher.

Gallagher glanced well wide from a Williams cross before Corry Evans was introduced as the final change, with Rovers in need of upping their intensity.

But neither side could really lay claim to doing enough in the closing stages to earn the three points, as Rovers went a fourth game without a win.

Rovers: Walton, Bennett, Adarabioyo, Nyambe, Williams, Downing (Evans, 80), Travis (Holtby, 70), Johnson, Holtby (Gallagher, 70), Dack, Armstrong

Subs: Leutwiler, Graham, Rankin-Costello, Buckley

​Huddersfield: Grabara, Simpson, Elphick, Schindler, Brown, Chalobah (Bacuna, 56), Hogg, Diakhaby (Hadergjonaj, 86), O’Brien, Kachunga, Grant (Campbell, 83)

Subs: Schofield, Pritchard, Mounie, Stankovic