ACCRINGTON Stanley were cruelly denied a second League One win of the season as Blackpool struck in stoppage time at the Wham Stadium.

John Coleman’s men were seemingly on course for a welcome three points with Curtis Tilt’s 16th-minute own goal giving them the advantage.

But there was to be a twist at the death with Matty Virtue firing home in the 92nd minute to hand the Seasiders a point.

 Stanley started brightly and could have gone ahead in the 11th minute from a fine free-kick routine.

Rather than send the ball into the box, Sean McConville worked the ball down the left wing for Dion Charles whose cross was met by Ross Sykes, who slightly blocked by his own man in Connor Simpson, brought a sharp save from Jak Alnwick.

Sam Finley’s shot from the resultant corner was then deflected wide before the midfielder had a hand in the opener just after the quarter hour.

His low cross was met by Blackpool defender Tilt who could only divert his clearance beyond Alnwick and in.

The visitors were well in an open game though and nearly levelled in the 24th minute.

Joe Nuttall broke beyond Mark Hughes with Seamus Conneely’s saving tackle diverting into the path of Ryan Hardie who was denied by Dimi Evtimov one-on-one.

The Bulgarian then saved a tame Liam Feeney shot before a horrible moment on the half hour saw him spill a routine catch into the path of Virtue who couldn’t guide the ball into the empty net from distance.

The Seasiders kept coming with Ryan Edwards’ header from a corner only deflected wide by his own man in Tilt.

Stanley finished the opening period on the front foot though, another excellent Finley centre being met by the head of Charles whose effort hit the top of the bar.

Conneely then sent a shot narrowly over after Alnwick had only half dealt with a Callum Johnson cross.

Both sides battled hard to gain a foothold at the start of the second half with the visitors largely on the front foot.

As the chances didn’t flow as they had done in the first period, there was a delay in play as items were thrown on the pitch from the away end, including a flare.

Having been sent off in last season’s corresponding game for sending an item back into the crowd, Stanley ‘keeper Evtimov composed himself this time before play continued.

He was nearly tested shortly after by a Nuttall volley but the former Blackburn Rovers striker’s well-struck effort hit Stanley defender Hughes in the chest.

Blackpool continued to enjoy plenty of territory but the Reds nearly doubled their advantage 15 minutes from time, a sliding McConville inches from getting on the end of Charles’ ball across the face of goal.

The Seasiders then went close in the 83rd minute, Tilt volleying over Feeney’s free-kick when he should have tested Evtimov.

McConville came within a whisker of scoring for a second time and settling things three minutes from the end, cutting in from the left before seeing his shot go just the wrong side of the far post.

There was to be heartbreak for the Reds at the death though, Virtue breaking into the box and firing a shot in off the post in the second of five added minutes.