COLNE earned a replay in their FA Cup first qualifying round tie at South Shields after fighting hard for a 0-0 draw.

The Reds faced a tough battle against their higher league opponents but defended well throughout and might have snatched a win with a handful of good chances.

Colne’s first chance came after 20 minutes when Sefton Gonzales cut in from the left wing and saw his shot blocked by the keeper at the near post and cleared by defenders from the goalmouth.

South Shields had the majority of the possession but their shooting was off target and failed to trouble Hakan Burton in the Colne goal. 

In the second half, South Shields stepped up the pressure but the Colne defence responded with some determined defending to keep out a series of dangerous attacks. 

And in the closing minutes of the game, Gonzales had a great chance to cause an upset for Colne as he burst into the home penalty area but was denied as he tried to turn past the last defender. 

Then, as play switched to the other end, Burton made a great save to turn a goalbound shot past the top corner of his goal to keep the scoresheet blank and ensure a replay on Tuesday night at Colne.

Ramsbottom on the other hand are through after a thumping 5-1 win at Maltby Main.

Things didn’t appear to be going to plan when the hosts went in front just eight minutes in.

Eddie Moran was robbed of possession in the middle of the park by Josh Ing who released Anthony Wilson into the left channel who calmly slotted home at the near post to set up a possible upset.

The leveller came on 19 minutes, some crisp interchange of play between Sam Adetiloye and Iyrwah  Gooden freed the right back to send an inviting ball across the six-yard line for Nic Evangelinos to bundle the ball home and level the scores. The game was turned on its head 10 minutes before the break, Mason Fawns passing to Gooden in the area who in turn found Evangelinos in the D who took one touch and fizzed a low shot into the bottom left corner.

Rammy then made it 3-1 on the stroke of half-time with Evangelinos finding Anointed Chukwu and his close control gave him the space to fire home and cement the advantage.

The fourth goal came 20 minutes from time and it was the best of the bunch.

A good ball in from Gooden found Chukwu seven yards out and with his back to goal and he used his strength to shield the ball and somehow managed put the ball in the top corner with an audacious back heel.

As the visitors continued to pepper the home goal, the fifth goal came 15 minutes from time, Jamie Rother firing home a fine effort from some 30 yards having previously been denied by the woodwork.

In the BetVictor North West Division, Clitheroe went down 2-1 at home to Prescot Cables.

Phil Brown’s side did get their noses in front through Connor Gaul’s penalty 21 minutes in, Owen Watkinson having been brought down in the area.

The visitors were level just before half-time though, Lloyd Dean making the most of a defensive mix-up.

The winner was the game’s second spot kick, James Edgar making no mistake for Prescot 15 minutes from time.

In the North West Counties Premier Division on Saturday, Barnoldswick scored three goals in 15 first-half minutes to see off Longridge Town 3-1.

Joseph Noblet, Richard Seear and Ethan Kershaw were on target.

Padiham drew 1-1 at home to Litherland REMYCA, James Dean’s goal just before the hour mark cancelled out by Bobby Short.

In the First Division North, Nelson were well beaten 5-0 at Ashton Town.

There was also defeat for Bacup Borough in the first round of the Cup, Brent Peters’ side going down 3-2 at Abbey Hey.

Matthew Bryan’s penalty did give them a 41st-minute lead which was almost immediately cancelled out by James Baillie.

A Deane Smalley penalty put the hosts in front just after the hour but there was another swift response, this time with Bacup’s Alex Mellor on target.

Abbey Hey progressed thanks to Joseph Neild’s strike 13 minutes from time.