Bradley Dack was delighted to get off the mark with his first Championship goal of the season – but felt he should have celebrated a double in the defeat at West Brom.

The hosts hung on for a 3-2 victory but only after referee Tony Harrington penalised Dack for a foul on goalkeeper Sam Johnstone when turning in from close range after the ball came back off the crossbar.

Dack revealed there were some honest and frank discussions in the dressing room at half-time as after he opened the scoring after just 26 seconds, the hosts hit back with three goals, all gifted by Rovers mistakes.

Bradley Johnson handed Rovers a lifeline on the stroke of half-time before a much improved second half performance almost saw them snatch a point. 

“It was a great start, to score early was nice,” Dack said.

“This is the sixth game and I was wanting that goal. It was a bit of relief, I just didn’t expect it to come so quickly. 

“We struggled after that though in the first half, we had to change it at half time.

“They overran us in midfield and in the wide areas.

“Second half was decent, we possibly deserved something out of the game. 

“They are a good side. But we created chances to grab an equaliser which was disappointing.”

Tony Mowbray made two changes at the break, introducing Joe Rothwell and John Buckley at the break. 

Dack says the players shared Mowbray’s displeasure at the opening 45 minutes in which the Baggies came on strong after the attacker’s early opener. 

“He wasn’t happy and we weren’t happy, there were words exchanged. That shows people care,” Dack said.

“We said what we needed to do second half and we did that I thought.

“We showed a bit of character, which is good, this squad has that in abundance.

“To concede three goals in the first half is not great, particularly with the run we’ve been on defensively, which has been good. But we showed we could bounce back, Johnno grabbed the goal just before half time and in the second half we were a lot better.

“The gaffer made changes at half time which helped and on another day that goal disallowed from me gets given and it ends 3-3.”

Dack thought he had levelled things up midway through the second half, only to be punished for a foul on Sam Johnstone when turning in from close range after the ball came back off the bar.

Disappointed with the decision, Dack explained: “I didn’t touch the goalkeeper. I just went to head it as it came down off the bar and it caught my shoulder and went in.

“I didn’t think there was anything wrong with it but the referee saw it as a foul.”