STANLEY winger Sean McConville has apologised for his red card in the defeat at Fleetwood Town.

The Reds lost 2-0 at Highbury on Saturday as their winless start to the new League One season continued.

John Coleman's side were already two goals down when McConville clashed with Ched Evans, scorer of the second goal for Joey Barton's side from the penalty spot just a few minutes prior.

Both men appeared to raise their hands but it was just the Stanley man who was dismissed by referee Peter Wright, leaving the Reds boss and his players furious.

Despite the controversy McConville released a statement through the club to say sorry to his team-mates and the club's fans with the 30-year-old now set to sit out the next three games.

“I want to apologise to the fans who travelled to Fleetwood, my reactions were built out of frustration,” said the midfielder, last sent off at Leyton Orient in December 2016 when the last man.

“Ched Evans has caught me in the face first of all, he has grabbed me in the face.

"If I react how he reacts when I catch him in the face, then he gets sent off and I stay on the pitch.

“Nine times out of 10, I wouldn’t react like I did but on this occasion I did.

“I am not trying to defend myself as my reactions are poor from an experienced player like myself. I shouldn’t be getting sent off like that.

“I will miss three games, I love playing games and hate missing them.

"I am not the best watcher but I will work doubly hard in training, keep myself fit and I know I will be in tip top condition to play again to help the lads.

"I want to apologise to everyone again.”

McConville says his reaction was in part due to his exacerbation at another disappointing Stanley display and refereeing decisions going against them.

The Reds saw Zaine Francis-Angol penalised for a foul on Josh Morris for Evans' penalty on 71 minutes.

The visitors were livid with Evans then converting and McConville seeing red three minutes later.

Coleman's men have picked up just the one league point this season from their draw at AFC Wimbledon.

“At 2-0 down, we weren’t playing great, I was frustrated," said McConville.  

"There was nothing in the game but I felt we had a lack of urgency and energy and we served up a first half performance which wasn’t acceptable.

“We had a bit of a go in the second half but we have to improve massively all over the pitch.

“The penalty has killed us, it was never a penalty.

"It seems like things aren’t going our way at the moment and the only way to get out of the rut is to keep working harder."