BURNLEY ran riot at Turf Moor as they kicked off their fourth consecutive Premier League season with a 3-0 victory over Southampton.

All the goals came in the second half as Ashley Barnes got his first two of the campaign while Johann Berg Gudmundsson decided to get in on the act.

Burnley defended solidly throughout the game and the back four were marshalled well by number one Nick Pope.

Southampton started the game the better side and very nearly took the lead inside the opening two minutes as a ball was spread wide to Yan Valery on the right, his cross connected with the stretching one-time Burnley target, Che Adams, who put it inches wide of the far post.

The Saints controlled the opening 10 minutes of the game in their 3-5-2 formation as Burnley dug in to defend Pope's goal and not give away any opportunities.

In the 17th minute of the game, we had our first VAR experience as Chris Wood had the ball in the back of the Southampton net - VAR said 'no goal'.

Gudmundsson had an effort from the edge of the box, but it curled just wide of the near post.

Southampton almost went in to the break a goal to the advantage after Nathan Redmond skipped past Gudmundsson in the box and fired a strike towards goal - Pope was able to get two hands to it to push the shot over the bar.

The first half was a relatively even affair with both sides having half chances. Adams' diving shot in the opening minutes was the best chance for either side.

You could see why Danny Drinkwater was added to Sean Dyche's squad on deadline day, as the Clarets sometimes lack a real creative edge in the middle of the park.

Referee Graham Scott awarded the visitors a free-kick from 20 yards out and Ryan Bertrand stepped up to unleash a left-footed strike that was close to nestling in Pope's top corner.

Frustration grew around Turf Moor as Barnes and Wood failed to click as they at times last season - you felt the fans wanted to see Jay Rodriguez enter to action.

The game become quite open after the hour mark with both sides steaming forward to get that all important opening goal.

In the 62nd minute the deadlock was broken - Erik Pieters played a hopeful ball forward which Jannik Vestergaard horribly misjudged the flight of. Barnes took advantage of this as he controlled the ball and slammed it through Gunn's legs.

Eight minutes later, the two combined again to double the Clarets' lead. Pieters whipped in a delightful cross to the back post where Barnes connected nicely with a side footed volley - Turf Moor erupted.

Gudmundsson wanted to get in on the goalscoring action as he opened his body inside the box and curled a beauty beyond Gunn and in to the far corner.

Jay Rodriguez was introduced late on to a rapturous applause from the home fans.

Burnley: Pope; Lowton, Tarkowski, Mee, Pieters; Gudmundsson, Cork, Westwood, McNeil (83' Lennon); Barnes (83' Rodriguez), Wood

Unused subs: Hart, Bardsley, Gibson, Long, Hendrick

Southampton: Gunn; Valery, Stephens (72' Hojbjerg), Vestergaard, Bednarek, Bertrand; Romeu, Ward-Prowse; Ings (64' Obafemi), Adams (72' Boufal), Redmond

Unused subs: McCarthy, Soares, Yoshida, Djenepo