There was an all too familiar feeling for the Rovers fans as they trudged away from Ewood Park – the frailties from last season having come back to bite.

Defeats on the opening day are exacerbated. For some, hopes built up over the three months of build up are shredded in just 90 minutes.

The realism comes in the fact this is just game one of 46. The concerns are the fact this wasn’t the first time these flaws have reared their head.

In truth, this had the hallmarks of the early days in League One. The script of Rovers dominating the ball, camped in the final third, but unable to test the opposition goalkeeper against a team who defend narrow and deep was all too familiar from two years ago.

And so too was being troubled on the counter, and by balls in to the box, with a set piece eventually proving their undoing here.

Whether mind games or a motivational tool for his players, Charlton boss Lee Bowyer felt it was a good time to play his side given their close season struggles. The Addicks came for a point, Rovers gifted them all three.

While most supporters pointed to the back four, made up of no new signings with just days left of the transfer window, as being the downfall, Tony Mowbray felt the attacking unit should shoulder the same responsibility for the defeat.

But on the evidence we’ve seen, not just in this 90 minutes but last season as well, it would be a brave move, some would say foolish, should two season-long loan signings in goalkeeper Christian Walton and defender Tosin Adarabioyo prove to be the only additions to a backline which shipped 69 goals in 2018/19.

Can that be viewed as adequate to alleviate the problems last season?

The boss suggested the back four here wouldn’t be his regular backline as the season progresses, but it’s hard to see how much can change without further additions in the transfer market.

There felt a ruthless streak to Mowbray at the end of last season by dropping goalkeeper David Raya, and failing to restore Charlie Mulgrew to the starting line-up after returning from injury, as there did after four defeats in 11 games which sparked a huge turnaround in fortunes.

Similar decisions are likely to be just around the corner once Adarabioyo is match ready.

Another opening day without victory was all the more galling was the fact Rovers hauled themselves level 10 minutes after the break, courtesy of more than a slice of good fortune, when Anfernee Dijksteel denied Bradley Johnson’s header on the line, only for his clearance to hit the back of goalkeeper Dillon Phillips and nestle in the net.

The period shortly after that saw Rovers build up ahead of steam and fully in the ascendancy. Balls whizzed across the box, while a home crowd buoyed by the equaliser roared their side on.

Then the sucker punch with 14 minutes remaining. Jason Pearce won the first ball from a Jake Forster-Caskey corner, with his flick diverting the ball to Lyle Taylor who squeezed it over the line.

The closing stages of the game were possibly the most disappointing. No grandstand finish, nothing by way of a late rally, Charlton seeing it out all too comfortably.

All of Rovers’ plans for a more progressive brand of football coming down to launching hopeful diagonals in the direction of Danny Graham suggested they had become lost for ideas.

Graham, last season’s player of the year, was left out with Sam Gallagher preferred, while Stewart Downing got the nod over Joe Rothwell.

More surprising was that having worked all of the close season on the right winger playing high, and wide, and the left winger tucked inside, it was flipped on its head here.

Downing had the best chance of the first half in the 24th minute. Gallagher was given chance to stretch his legs down the and his low cross looked to have ran perfectly for the winger, but he couldn’t adjust his feet to turn goalwards.

While Rovers’ failed to muster a shot on target from their six first half efforts, Charlton sparked in to life in the final 10 minutes.

Charlie Mulgrew was caught under the ball, allowing Taylor to draw a save from Walton, before the opening goal three minutes before the break. Elliott Bennett’s pass was cut out, and as Rovers tried to recover, left wing-back Ben Purrington was able to ghost in at the back post to turn home a Jonny Williams cross.

With Rovers rattled, Walton was called in to action once more before the break, diving away to his right to save from Taylor.

After the equaliser, a low Bradley Dack shot apart, Rovers’ best spell failed to bring clear-cut chances before Taylor struck, and with it, stole the points.