SEAN Dyche's side drew 2-2 at Wigan Athletic's DW Stadium in what was their fourth pre-season game this summer.

The Clarets will be disappointed as they were 2-0 up and cruising after first half goals from Jay Rodriguez and Dwight McNeil.

Wigan dug deep and pulled a first half goal back through Anthony Pilkington before substitute Joe Gelhardt levelled proceedings midway through the second half.

The Clarets only needed six minutes to assert their dominance over the Championship as Rodriguez gave them the lead.

Ashley Barnes split the Wigan centre halves with a lovely pass to find Johann Berg Gudmundsson, the Iceland man squared for Rodriguez to slide it in to an open goal.

Five minutes later, Burnley doubled their advantage as Barnes and Gudmundsson once again linked up well to find McNeil on the edge of the box.

The England Under-20 player found the bottom corner with a drive from 20-yards out.

Burnley showed their Premier League credentials as they controlled the tempo of the game with ease at times and ventured forward on a regular basis.

Wigan’s Lewis Macleod was shown a yellow card in the first half after a poor challenge on McNeil – something of a rare occurrence in a pre-season friendly.

Paul Cook’s side pulled a goal back on the half hour mark through Pilkington.

Josh Windass pulled the ball back in to the box and the Blackburn-born midfielder side footed the ball beyond Tom Heaton.

There was an injury scare for Dyche as Ben Mee went down clutching his right knee and squirming in pain, luckily the centre half was fine to carry on.

Heaton further staked his claim to start the Premier League as the man between the sticks as he pulled off a couple of brilliant saves. Substitute Gelhardt levelled things after he found space in the box and smashed a left-footed drive beyond the England goalkeeper and in to the far bottom corner.

The Clarets should have been back in front in the 73rd minute as two substitutes combined - Jeff Hendrick found Chris Wood, who lifted over the onrushing goalkeeper, but also wide of the post.

Expectedly, the second half tempo slowed as the match neared its end and both teams accepted the draw.

Wigan: Marshall, Robinson (70' Roberts), Macleod (45' Fox), Pilkington (60' Lang), Evans (70' Weir), Windass (60' Gelhardt), Garner (60' Naismith), Jacobs (60' Massey), Lopes (57' Byrne), Kipre, Dunkley.

Unused subs: Jones

Burnley: Heaton, Lowton (62' Bardsley), Tarkowski, Mee (62' Long), Taylor (71' Pieters), Gudmundsson, Cork, Westwood (71' Hendrick), McNeil 71' (Lennon), Rodriguez (79' Vydra), Barnes (62' Wood).

Unused subs: Hart, Younger.