A third pre-season win for Rovers came at Mansfield Town, but only after being pushed hard by the League Two side.

The young side named by Tony Mowbray controlled the opening 45 minutes, but from the moment they took a 2-0 lead early in the second half they were made to work by the Stags who could count themselves unfortunate not to level, denied by the post and some smart Andrew Fisher saves.

That was all before an expertly taken third goal from Adam Armstrong gave Rovers a third consecutive pre-season win.

Matt Preston was the unfortunate opposition defender this time as Rovers took an early lead from another own goal. He turned a Dan Butterworth cross in to his own net under pressure from Tyler Magloire in the 10th minute.

Butterworth was having plenty of joy, continuing to find pockets of space, and would have had a fine solo goal had Conrad Logan not saved well just 60 seconds later.

He was too quick again midway through the half before showing great vision to pick out strike-partner Ben Brereton whose first time shot with his left foot was saved by the legs of Logan.

That was the same method he used to deny John Buckley whose shot from the edge of the box came after another free-flowing move involving Lewis Travis, booked just before the break for a mistimed tackle.

Moments of promise from the hosts proved few and far between. Their best opening coming in the 19th minute when Joe Rankin-Costello made an impressive block to deny Jacob Mellis.

The Rovers XI emerged for the second half and doubled their lead just seven minutes after the break. Buckley blocked Krystian Pearce’s attempted clearance before having the presence of mind to remain calm and turn in from six yards.

The two goal lead lasted under a minute though as Pearce atoned for his error. Andrew Fisher looked unconvincing under the high ball, allowing Pearce, via a deflection, to volley home.

He would have had a second in the 58th minute had he managed to find the target with a free header from a corner which came after Fisher had smartly turned behind an Otis Khan free-kick.

Mansfield were now on top, Fisher saving well from Danny Rose as Rovers made their first two changes with the introductions of Stewart Downing and Adam Armstrong.

It was the Rovers goal that was leading the more charmed life though as Khan curled another excellent free kick over the wall, only for this one to come back off the post.

Set pieces had been a real problem for Rovers, with an inswinging free kick met by the head of Pearce with Fisher having to move sharply to his right to save.

But Rovers reserved their best move of the second half until five minutes from the end, an excellent slide-rule Travis pass putting in Armstrong who rounded the ‘keeper to tap in to the empty net.

Butterworth deserved a goal for his display and should have had one, only to fire wide from a promising position late on.

Rovers first half: Fisher, Rankin-Costello, Magloire, Grayson, Hart, Smallwood (Downing, 64), Travis, Buckley, Rothwell (Armstrong, 64), Butterworth, Brereton

Unused subs: Leutwiler, Lenihan, Mulgrew, Johnson, Dack