COLNE booked a place in the final of the Lancashire Challenge Trophy with a 2-1 win over Bamber Bridge on Wednesday night.

The Reds took a first half lead but were pegged back by a Brig penalty midway through the second half but fought on to score a deserved winner with an outstanding performance against a team who play one leve above Steve Cunningham's men.

After an even start Colne carved out a great chance on 21 minutes when Brad Knox’s chip into the goalmouth found Matty Makinson but his close range header flew wide of the Brig goal. Five minutes later, Josh Hine’s superb cross reached Mamdou Djabi in the six yard box but the keeper claimed the ball at his feet.

Colne made the breakthrough after 36 minutes when Hine’s good work in midfield released Alex Curran on a diagonal run. He picked out Lynch on the left wing and he cut into the penalty area and drove his effort into the net.

Bamber Bridge looked for a quick reply before half time but free kicks by Matthew Dudley and Alistair Waddecar failed to trouble Hakan Burton in the Colne goal.

The Reds began the second half brightly and might have doubled their lead on the hour when Curran’s ball fell to Hine as he made a run through the middle but he chipped over the bar with just the keeper to beat.

But disaster struck for Cunningham's men on 70 minutes when a mix-up in the Colne defence led to a scramble in the area and a Brig forward was brought down for a penalty. Waddecar fired home the spot kick to level the scores and give his side fresh hope.

But the goal only served to spur Colne on to greater efforts and with their next attack Lee Pugh fired a shot across the face of before Hine raced clear but saw keeper Danny Roccia save his shot at the expense of a corner.

From the corner the ball fell to Makinson whose shot was parried by Roccia and Pugh fired home the loose ball from close range to restore Colne’s lead.

The Reds were in no mood to let the lead slip and played out the game with some convincing football before celebrating a memorable win at the final whistle.