A STOPPAGE time Karlan Grant penalty meant Stanley suffered a harsh 1-0 defeat in a fiery game at Charlton Athletic.

Stanley looked set to leave their first visit to the Valley with a point until substitute Will Wood’s handball was spotted by the linesman.

That allowed Grant to score the only goal of the game and hand the Addicks the points in a clash which saw Reds goalkeeper Jonny Maxted and home frontman Lyle Taylor sent off 10 minutes from time following an ugly melee.

Maxted’s dismissal meant a debut for Reds new boy Dimitar Evtimov who only joined on the morning of the game.

Fellow new boy Janoi Donacien was not involved for personal reasons after completing his return to the club on loan until the end of the season from Ipswich.

Stanley started the game brightly as the first 10 minutes were played in the Charlton half.

The crisp large pitch suited the passing style John Coleman likes his team to implement but despite plenty of possession, Stanley’s only sight of goal came via a half chance for Billy Kee.

The striker was found by a surging Callum Johnson but was unable to guide his first time effort on target.

In the 12th minute, Charlton came close to opening the scoring when Taylor fired a low centre across the face of goal that somehow evaded everyone.

Sam Finley and Kee combined six minutes later for the visitors. The midfielder played the ball in to Kee’s feet and made a run looking for the return but was thwarted by Naby Sarr.

At the other end Grant outpaced Liam Gibson on the left and fired in a cross that was superbly defender by Stanley’s Mark Hughes.

With five minutes of the half to go, Stanley had their best chance of the game when Kee knocked the ball down to Luke Armstrong but the striker found Dillon Phillips from six yards out when either side of the goalkeeper would have brought a goal.

Charlton came out in the second half very much on the front foot but the Reds held firm.

Armstrong and Kee went close with headers while Maxted brilliantly kept out a Ben Purrington header.

As the game approached the final quarter, Charlton stepped up the tempo with Taylor making space for himself and seeing his deflected effort drop wide.

Ten minutes from time came the flashpoint with both sets of players coming to blows on the pitch.

Maxted and Taylor both saw red for their part in the ugly scenes meaning a debut for Evtimov.

He had little to do but, with time running out, Wood was penalised for handball and up stepped Grant to win the game for Charlton.